Where are motion trails for Blender? Should Blender have them? Discuss!

dis^

A trail that shows you motion in the viewport, it will highlight keyframes, and let you modify this motion IN the viewport.
Do not tell me to get that one plugin for Blender, I know the one, it’s busted as…

Anyways, I have to say this is a really freaking useful feature for animators and Blender could really use something like it.

Why shouldn’t it? It’s only an amazing visual help for animators that allow them to clean up motion about 2x faster.

If any of you have used them before you know what I’m talking about here >.O
This feature should be developed for blender. Please inform me if it already is.

What do you think of this feature, do you think it should or should not be in Blender, why?
Discuss!

Motion Paths tab under object data

For modifying in the viewport use the addon you don’t want to use

In development for Gooseberry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQoFsFyctQ

I have that addon, trust me, it’s super busted. So many bugs with it and it does not update in realtime.
I’d be HAPPY to use it if someone… (blender foundation) retrofitted it to actually work.

https://developer.blender.org/rB5d94e2d40be398d7849a2dbe1e9f642eac45e711

Do research before complaining.

Holy crap, in that video they’re using a non crap version, looks like they fixed it.
Still waiting on it to come into an update though…

You’re in the programmer paradigm, not everyone finds obscure pages of code enlightening or helpful.
Sorry, I don’t know what I’m looking at here. I see the words motion trail in there but that’s about it.

I don’t blame you though, I really should learn some code, probably python.

Last time i tried the addon it was pretty much unusable for anything other than the simplest of cube objects. If i recall correctly, it had to be rewritten in C.

Nobody’s going to sift through an ocean of diff logs. Besides, that commit is just a stub for a motion trail API that might be there in the future.

As mentioned before, do research before complaining – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQoFsFyctQ

Edit: doublebishop beat me

Motion paths in maya also have tangents, which you can even break

Well you have to assume tangents will be added in, since the original plugin had them. That 10 second video doesn’t show much, the main difference i can spot is that it updates a little faster when used with armatures. I’m sure there have been numerous changes under the hood, they just don’t make for an interesting video… I’d also love to try it out, is it included in the gooseberry builds?

That addon is really lagging too.

1. I’m not complaining. I’m quite clearly making a suggestion and asking a question. I did, however, complain about the current plugin but that does not validate your point as it’s a separate matter for such a feature in blender to be coming as opposed to the current bootleg solution that’s worthless.

2. Do my research? Forgive me, I seem to be about a week behind. As I recall, last week there was noting out there on this except for that terrible addon I mentioned.

Thanks for the video, but Richard actually beat you to it a couple posts before.
I am glad to see someone at BF had enough appreciation of such a crucial feature as to set the wheel in motion for its development and eventual release.