USA studios that only use Blender?

Are there any USA studios that only use Blender? I’m tired of sending out resumes and people cringing when they see I use Blender on my resume while completely ignoring the fact I’m a Maya user and grew up on MAX. I’d like to work at a studio where Blender is the main program used in the project flow. I’d like to send my resume out to some companies that need Blender artists.

I’ve actually been told several times to “learn Cinema 4D” and hint that I should stop using Blender as my go to 3D application but I can’t stop. I know it so well now it feels so comfortable; much more comfortable than I ever was with Mental Ray and Maya.

bull thats the way its going to remain. what is taught in schools? autodesk, so thats what the employers are most comfortable with. rather than sending a resume try sending a demo reel. the same reason you want to use blender, your comfort level is the same reason they dont, comfort level. but if you can wow them with results as a first impression rather than something they are unfamiliar with it might help.

Well if you want to work at a company that likely used Maya Max or C4D and has no use for Blender there is no way around than learning those. Animation and modeling knowledge can be transfered but one still should know the main app the employer uses.

I am an indie game studio, and I run only blender, even for my game engine,

however, at this point I have made most of my earnings as a freelancer.

My own title will be using only blender, and the game engine and gimp.

Unknown Forces Game Studio

Blender is not used in studios because it simply is not studio material. It has notable performance problems and many little things and issues that make it highly in-ideal for a studio environment. The other side of the coin is that is not it taught abroad.

OK. So nobody is answering my question though. I’m not asking for reasons WHY people don’t use Blender. I’m asking which ones do, if any.

I don’t need to learn other programs. I know them except Cinema 4D. I also never said that they weren’t hiring me because I know Blender and have it on my resume.

I have, however, had a few employers say that I shouldn’t use Blender and switch to Cinema 4D, completely glossing over the fact that Maya, Max, and Blender are better all around programs than Cinema 4D.

So stay on topic, please. I don’t need to know why studios don’t use Blender. I am asking if there are studios that only use Blender and a few other tools, if they are located in the USA, and that I can send my resume. I’ve seen a few and have sent my resume. I just wondered if there were any more.

EDIT: BluePrintRandom answered my question perfectly. Thanks!

Don’t underestimate C4D, it has some pretty nifty features that I can only wish Blender had.

As far as I know, I don’t know of any North American companies that purely use Blender. Brazil I think has some. I remember there being an artist in Blizzard that made all of his assets for Diablo 3 in Blender. Probably because it’s not a big deal to export them into 3dsMax or Maya after. I think if the studio is flexible enough they will allow for individual artists to use the software (after all it is free and takes very little space up on a computer. Hell you don’t even need to use an installer for it.)

There may be some small architectural visualization places that use Blender exclusively. But again, Autodesk is probably king with CAD.

Sorry this doesn’t really answer the question, but it’s the best guess I can make.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say, no, there are likely no studios with the budget to hire an artist using a solely Blender-based 3D pipeline. There are plenty of reasons why this is true. You’re basically looking for the unicorn of companies, and if it existed, EVERYONE in the Blender community would know about it and talk about it constantly as proof of the Blender ideal.

I think with Blender you rather find freelancers work with it. I run my own studio, and use Blender (I am in product and interactive design).
However 99,9% of all studios that can employ more than two people are likely to run a standard application.

I personally had great success with Blender but thats because I can manage my own workflow, I do not have to deliver CAD/3D files
to the client so they can continue working with them and such.

If you have a bigger studio there are besides workflow such problems to consider.

also google keywords like 3d animation tv ad and such done with blender US studio etc.

but as said you find many south american work examples.

i’ve read some big ass artists use blender though, mostly for retopo work and modelling, US based, i hope this counts.

Blender was also used in one of the spider man projects but hardly is it ever the main tool more for specialized tasks or low level work.

is it really a concern if no “significant” company uses Blender? i am in fact more curious about the “scientists” user base Blender has.

In my personal experience, I’ve found startups are more likely to adopt Blender since it’s free and they usually have tighter budgets. For the more established/larger studios, switching to Blender completely would probably require redesigning their pipeline and require learning new workflows ($).

Here’s how I’d answer that question . . .

“A studio,” whether it’s a main-line Studio™ or a contractor that’s doing work for one of them, is engaged in “a massive computer data-processing project(!!)” that might well be [strike]worth[/strike] risking(!!!) millions of (somebody else’s!!! :eek: ) dollars.

They know they’ll get the job done, and earn a profit doing it. How? Because they have a well-honed workflow. They know how to break the job down into steps that <<their tool>> can solve, and then they know how to apply <<their tool>> to solve it.

Well, if you approach that company with <<your tool>>, “you’re missing the point.” Sure, they do(!!) know all about(!!!) <<your tool>>! [Maybe …] They think it’s great! “B-u-t, you’re still missing the point.”

I guess that somewhat applies to us… We started back in 2009… have 8 artists working for us now, blender is our 3D application of choice

Another big problem with Blender, at least with what we’ve discussed internally is the fact that it has a very destructive workflow. If you move across from a package like Softimage, where every little procedure you call is stored in a modelling tree, and allows you to step back per model; to something like Blender, there’s a gap in the workflow that was not there initially.

When you’re strapped for time on a large project, having the ability to see and manipulate all modelling history is a huge plus (if you dont understand what I mean, think of modifiers, but for every little thing you do).

Yeah, and that’s what this little addon I saw on Blendernation proposes to complement. I already have my workflow down (incremental saves and object copies basically) so I didn’t give it a try but Houdini works that way too (for modeling and the rest), and it’s great going back in time to make a revision.

I really don’t see this as a big problem. Blender is much less destructive than, say, Lightwave, which has wonky undos and a totally destructive modeling workflow. The fact that Blender has modifiers at all is a huge workflow boost, and the presence of that little “plus” button when you “save as” is a great addition to your workflow.

My recomendation is that you tailor your CV for every studio you’re interested to apply. I don’ see any problem by adding Blender in it, but if you know that a studio use mainly Maya or Max, put that as the first option. At the end what you want is to work and create awesome stuff.