Luxrender addon installation in blender 2.74 (test build)

Hello guys, I tried to install luxrender 1.4 in blender 2.74 test build but it results in an error repot which ends with, "no module named ‘_ctypes’ "
Tried google but still stuck. :confused:This error occurs for the ‘network render addon’ as well.

Please help. Thanks in advance if anyone helps.
Sayan.

EDIT:
Solution,
Just copy the ctypes folder and _ctypes.pyd form 2.72 a version and paste in 2.74/lib/python/ folder.
Thnx for helping everyone.

Post here, please:
http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=ad746fc4a6167ce794e0ba534e4a06f2

Hello spirou4d, in my opinion this is blender related since the same error occurs with the network rendering addon as well. Moreover I had used luxrender in blender 2.6x and it worked fine, addon worked as it should be. But I think I have some missing scripts in blender. I mean maybe this happened while installing addons or so.
Nevertheless thanks for the advice.

Sayan.

This error must be corrected by Luxrender addon creator so in Luxrender forum, not by Blender.
Bye bye
Spirou4D

No, it is a Blender 32bit packaging bug, it is explained here: http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11569&p=111454&hilit=_ctypes#p111444

The linked thread include also a simple workaround to the problem.

Thanx Dade. Really helpful. But still it doesn’t work. It says "importerror: DLL load failed: the specified module could not be found.

The access to the file LibLux.dll is not enabled.

No it’s a py error in the python lib blender 2.73:

it seem that ctypes is known as module and not in main python 3.4.
Try to place the folder ctypes in the “site-packages” module folder of python 3.4 lib of your blender…may be!

I assume you are using Blender 32bit, LuxRender 32bit and Windows 32bit, right ?. It looks like it is unable to find all the required DLLs, you may be able to solve your problem by directly copying the required DLLs (liblux.dll, OpenImageIO.dll, etc.) inside the LuxBlend directory.

Spirou 4D, the ctypes folder is already present in the lib folder. Even after pasting and replacing the folder by the older version one, nothing changed, it still says that DLL Load failed.

Dade, Yes all are 32-bit platforms. I found the DLLs but where do you want me to paste them? Where is the LuxBlend directory?

Thanks for helping.
Sayan.

No you don’t understand me: I know the ctype exist but place it in the site-packages folder in the python3.4 lib like a module.
The error is the ctype is not read as module.

Please ignore what Spirou4D says, it is a packaging bug. The ctypes module belongs to Python, consisting of a folder ‘ctypes’ and a pyd file ‘_ctypes.pyd’. Both should reside in the “2.74/lib/python/” folder, not in site-packages.

Spirou 4D, the ctypes folder is already present in the lib folder. Even after pasting and replacing the folder by the older version one, nothing changed, it still says that DLL Load failed.

As explained above, you need both the folder and the file. The folder is already there, you can ignore it. You should copy the _ctypes.pyd file into “2.74/lib/python/”, not into “2.74/lib/python/ctypes”.

Dade, Yes all are 32-bit platforms. I found the DLLs but where do you want me to paste them? Where is the LuxBlend directory?

If the above instructions don’t fix your problem, try copying those DLLs into the same folder the blender.exe is in.

Hello BeerBaron,
I followed your instructions carefully but still this error keeps on occurring.
Sayan.

Just to be sure, did you ever have Luxrender working before, with Blender 2.73? Are you on Windows XP? (I don’t know if that’s supported still).

I followed your instructions carefully but still this error keeps on occurring.

At least _ctypes.pyd seems to be found, so this is a different error. You can try putting the DLLs Dade mentioned into “scripts/addons/luxrender” folder in your appdata directory (that’s where LuxBlender is most likely installed).

It’s a bit hard to tell which DLL you are missing, you can figure this out with a tool like Dependency Walker in profile mode to see where DLL loading fails.

I also suggest you just reinstall everything (Luxrender, Blender, Luxblend, copy the _ctypes.pyd). I went through the trouble of installing a 32-bit version of these applications, and I cannot reproduce your error after copying over the _ctypes.pyd. I’m running Windows 7 64-bit, though.

I have windows 7-32bit and 32-bit versions of all the softwares.
Yes, the _ctypes.pyd helped. Thanx a lot for that.
But the Dlls are still missing even after I reinstalled everyting and pasted the DLLs in the Luxrender folder in appsdata.

Sayan.

It could be something subtle like VS2013 32bit run-time DLLs. The BeerBaron’s suggestion to use http://www.dependencywalker.com/help/html/application_profiling.htm could the only certain mode to solve the problem.

I got this with “Depends” :

Hope the screenshot is helpful.
Sayan.

Those missing modules you see on the screenshot are “normal” for Windows. What you need to do is use Profile Mode to run the application and repeat the steps that cause the DLL load error. Then, look into the log to see exactly what failed to load at the time.

Hello BeerBaron,
I used Profiling mode and after trying to enable the addon in blender I got this:

Sayan.

That’s not a real error, either. The real error should be at end of the log. Run Blender until the DLL load error occurs. Select all the text (CTRL+A) and copy it (CTRL+C), then post it to a site like pasteall.org so we can read all of it.

Okay, so I have ran Blender till that DLL error and whatever I got in Dependancy Walker I have Posted it to http://www.pasteall.org/57282/text. Hope the link works.

Sayan.