pay for workstation with online rendering?

I’m thinking about getting a decent workstation sometime this year, somewhere between $1,500 - $2,500. Custom built, nothing extreme but should be fast and powerful enough for (what I hope will be) my primary work, vfx and compositing.
How much of a demand is there for online rendering? I know there are a lot of online rendering sites out there so is there anyway to make money on my own or as part of a network of renderers? I’d just like to make some money in between jobs to help pay it off.
I figure it’s either that or do Uber driving like everyone else seems to be doing these days :stuck_out_tongue:

Thoughts?

Found out from experience that it’s difficult to find anyone interested in paying $0.01/GHz. With all the cloud computing out there, it’s easy to fire-up a cloud node “on-demand” and use it to render, then take it offline, so you only pay for the time you use the node and don’t have to buy HW. For example, sites such as linode.com charge you only while your node created, so you can destroy it and re-create it when you need it.
I have a 256GHz farm, and can’t get anyone interested in using it, so it’s just sitting here doing nothing.
I like blender, and have fun with it, but im no artist, so I don’t have a real “need” for it. But it’s fun to play around making logos and such, but that’s the limit of my skill.

That’s too bad usao. I know cloud rendering has really blown up over the last few years. I think it would be just great though to be able to connect to a network and share some of the load and get paid for it.
How have you advertised your services btw? How much marketing have you done?
Getting the word out there has always been the one thing that I’ve needed the most work on, personally.