Help with lighting + AO for my large room

Hi
I have this large room(gallery) and i don’t know how to enlighten it properly.
I want to have a soft, unified and source-less light all over inside the room, later i can add more light on some spots. i tried with only AO + Environment Lighting and this is the awful result:

As you can see the main problem is where walls meet ceiling and floor. i’m not a 3d pro and this model was given to me by another semi-noob guy :D. so i’m not sure this is just my lighting problem.
I googled alot, but most of interior tutorials was about the room without ceiling or getting a render for an exact angle, but i need this for baking lightmap and export the model and lightmap for another engine.
I’m not sure which lights(maybe area light) and how many of them could enlighten my room!
I’ve attached my blend file. so please help me. (this is urgent!!)
EnlightMe.blend (4.74 MB)
Thanks.

What’s wrong with the wall/ceiling/floor corners? All I can see is AO doing what it’s designed to do. If you don’t like it, turn it down/off.

I know AO is doing his job(add some shadows to corners), but i’m looking for a little more realistic light(but not fancy!) and less darker shadows at corners. i need some lighting tips for such a room.

mese79 you mentioned a gallery which is my current project. And, besides I couldn’t resist playing in BI again. If you Google the inside of Galleries it’s kind of slim pickings. But, one thing is obvious. Some are bone white and just overwhelmed with light. Others are darker which to me emphasizes the track lighting on the hung art. It’s the latter I choose to go with in my project. So here we have AO & EL with two area lights. But, you could make the entire overhead a area light for that matter.

Anyway you can see the settings in the two uploads here. Best of luck with your project. Oh and the pictures. I grabbed up the first two I came on. One is a U.S. military warning poster from WWII. Yeah, that must have really scared the troops alright. :slight_smile:

///

mese76: Hey guy do you realize your ceiling is about 60’ high in your blend file. And, the place is 290’ deep. I find for me anyway real world dimensions work best. I discovered this while setting your camera to about 5’ 6" inches above the floor and level. Where a gallery would normally be viewed from. That’s when I discovered I was in a mega Coliseum.

The T menu under the Grease Pencil tab has a Ruler/Protractor for making measurements. Just hit Ctrl and drag. In the Scene tab of the Properties Panel you can set ‘Imperial’ measurements. Also specular was to the max on almost everything. I couldn’t tell the ceiling from the walls. I think you might find it easier working with the specular off on everything. Bring it up after everything is set to go. I also changed the camera from 22mm to 35mm. Actually, I’m going to make that 50mms in this place.

It’s taking so much Environment Lighting, 2.000, that working with other lights is… Just to damn big, man but best of luck.

///

Thanks theoldghost!
I didn’t realize that my room has such huge size! i’m gonna fix it and try with your AO and EL settings.

Blender Internal: A ‘Hemi’ light available. It has been a long time and I forgot the Hemi light. @mese76 just use a Hemi light to bring up the overall brightness of your scene. And, don’t be reluctant to use small values like .075. Damn I had forgot how much fun BI can be.

Now the render in the blend file is set to 50% - 1080p for a reason. A mirror was applied to the floor. In BI a mirror on a material not only drives up render times but can heat a CPU up fast. No big deal but something to be aware of in say high ambient temperature.

I actually hung track lighting from beams in my project but my partitions are parallel to the walls. Once again best of luck in your endeavor here. Any questions maybe I can help. I started with Blender when BI was the renderer. As did many others on the forum here.

Well, the blend file I attempted to upload, two times, is only 8.73MBs when the Attachment Key clearly says Max File - size is 15MBs. For some damn reason pasteall is a bit confusing to me.

Anyway your viewers will expect to see each hung piece lite by its own light. Be it track lighting or the mounted kind. By the way throw that Hemi light anywhere. Location doesn’t matter.

///

Hemi ligth it is!! i was so stupid that never brought Energy value down enough like you said 0.075. this is great.
Thanks again man, you helped me to overcome my phobia of large room lighting!
i’m a developer and prefer to write codes, but i love blender ui and shortcuts. next step i will try to learn cycle.