three nails, one crown

Hey there,

there is an Good-Friday-Render I made that should be as simple as possible.
The nails are made with Dyntopo and the crown with the curve-modifier and afterwards the surface has been modified in sculpt mode.
With nodes the vignette hase been added and the depth of field is focused on the second nail.

Do you have any suggestions to improve the image?

Here you can see the scenery with the background and the emission-planes.

Thank you for your criticism
DoubleTheP

Nice!
Looks good and it links the mind to a certain famous religion.
Here are some points from me:

1. I would really like some colour in the image.

2. The models is hovering a bit of the ground. Specially the spike in the middle and the thorn to the far left.

3. Maybe work on what story you want to tell with the image? Is the spikes going to be bloody maybe?
    Try to catch the viewer with something out of the ordinary. :slight_smile:

Anyway, looking forwarding seeing it when it’s finished!

The modelling is great but I feel like this would be much better with some materials. The crown should have a very detailed wood material while the nails should have a metal worn out/rusty one.

I agree that some materials would really make them stand out well. The thorns could also have been longer, and the nails possibly bigger. The proportions between crown and nails looks off a bit as well?
You are off to a great start, keep it up!

Thank you for your criticism. The hoovering nail is improved, there is less depth of field, so it’s possible to recoginze the material of the nails. The nails are now also lengthened. The title now tells a story.

Any further suggestions are stil welcome :slight_smile:
DoubleTheP

Probably if there were materials already, there could be some suggestions (I mean except for those already given), especially about metal (I think they will be made of metal, won’t they?), its glossiness and / or anisotropy. At the moment the result is rather nice, especially with inscription placed - you really found a good font, imo.
Good luck with that!

You might want to look at getting an AO pass multiplied on top of it to an extent along with a slight increase in contrast, especially if these images are going to be published in print or something by your church.

The same for your other image with the empty tomb, I get the idea that you want to keep the white coloration, just needs more definition.

Hi DTP

I like it white, but agree with Ace that it needs more contrast. The font is excellent, really dramatic and makes the pic.
Question, the crown I get, but why three nails?

Shaun

like the idea, but don’t like the use of clay.
tray to give some good material to the scene objects, for me is better. Or try a postproduction, like B&W or some artistic filters in photoshop, is good image need only some adjustmets.

I agree with the comments above that there should be more contrast. You could also add a hint of color or even fully texture. Try going with a darker theme or color scheme, because it might fit the image a bit better (while it represent a glorious event, it still is sad). If this had a darker color scheme, with maybe some dark browns and red, and the one Grave, no Body image had the lighter color scheme, the two could go well together and have that contrast between events represented in the colors of the image. Also, you might wanna make the crown have more thorns, bigger and more of them to represent more paint and suffering, and have maybe the ends of the nails have blood, as well as the thorns and parts of the crown. Nonetheless, it already is a great image. The composition is great, the font really matches and the nails and crown are really detailed and well made. Keep it up!