I hope this was a good buy

I forgot to make sure the Graphics card was not integrated, and was not prone to overheating,

Also I am not so sure about win 8.1

Was this a good buy?

it seemed like the most power I could get for my $$$

Ok, it’s integrated, and the power supply is fixed as well, but all in all seems like a good buy still,

it’s about 2x faster then my current rig, and has 2x the vRam and a much more modern GPU with Maxwell,

4k hd etc.

and it comes with a xbox controller, and win 8.1

So far I love it,

I can run my game in full hd at 60 fps .023 latency… XD

Try using Cycles (or even BI with it though). You basically put all your eggs on the GPU and skimped a bit on the CPU and the RAM (don’t expect Blender rendering performance to be far above your old machine).

Also, you can just forget about using next-gen development tools like UE4 as a result, what you bought is one of those ‘Steam Boxes’ that are designed for playing games and not so much for creating them (if the engine is not lightweight on the CPU and RAM requirements then it’s a no-go).

Though at less than 500 USD, it may really have been among the better things you could get for such a price.

it runs every game I have tried, and my old comp was not upgradable without a new mobo, Cpu, Ram, and new GPU

so for the price, and the fact it comes with a bunch of free games, its nice,

It also has up-gradable ram, and cpu I believe and hard drive,

it’s 64 bit, so it can hold quite a bit.

When looking at new hardware for under 500, I could not find any.

I don’t see a big difference between Windows 8.1 and 7. Seems like there’s more animated transitions, some touch screen friendly additions and the options have been shuffled around.

yeah, some app drawer stuff and that is about it, but the is also the alienware alpha ui,
which takes a while to restart into, but I think that it is only loading some windows things like direct x etc, then you load steam, which does nota,take that long, the web browser in steam is a neat idea but still kinda wonky.

Trust me, there’s differences. I use Win 7 at work and Win 8.1 at home. Win 8.1 goes from completely off to the desktop in about 30 seconds, whereas Win 7 takes about 2 minutes. Not sure what differences there are under the hood, but Win 8 is much easier to use for the everyday tasks I do.

You bought an over priced and under powered notebook computer disguised in a small form factor ‘console’ style case.

runs planetside 2 fine,

I already had a case, but upgrading would have cost far more,

cpu , ram, mobo, power supply, and a video card
for 450$ and that has a Nvidia GTX or equivilent,
I looked for quite some time and then
bought the alpha. 64 bit, ddr3 etc.