Starting with sculpting - Tradiotional clay sketchbook

Hi all,

I’ve been recently crazy about sculpting, I don’t know what it was, but it was probably because I got a big lump of clay for my Birthday last year that made me want to try it out. I have been sculpting with blender for a year now, but I wanted to do a little more, and try it in the real world. So I have been crazy about it ever since :eyebrowlift: I am far from being a good sculptor, but everyone has to start somewhere, and I thought it might be nice to share my progress as I go, and hopefully keep updating the sketchbook with new doodles :yes: Today, I got a little pack of redish clay, I think it also has a little oil in it, and it is a dream to work with, and good to go back to traditional, as I have been mainly using sculpey/fimo lately. This is just a quick doodle for today, just about 1 hours work, so feel free to tear it to pieces with critique, I don’t mind, just give you’re honest opinion :ba: This is a stylised head, and it’s still in the blocking process;

Attachments

Just a quick doodle while waiting for the other to dry. This clay is a dream, to use! :slight_smile:

Slightly stylized Zombie head;

Attachments

Smoothed out some of the rougher parts, and brushed it down with raw alcohol. Wondering weather to pant it, or leave it like it is…

Attachments

hi bonrw, getting some feeling for sculpting with real clay is a benefit for sculpting in 3d. glad to hear you have fun with it, it will help you to understand form better. i did carvings, and sculpts in clay before i got deep into sculpting with blender and zbrush… if you want to go into the realistic head direction at some point, you could follow the free sculpt cookie tutorial of mine, planes of the head, to get the basics correct. also, using youtube videos on zbrush or blender sculpting really can help you :slight_smile: have fun, and happy sculpting :slight_smile:

Hey doris! I agree, it’s definitely a benefit! I have seen some of you’re sculptures and wood carvings, they are very inspirational, and very impressive! I am not going to be sculpting totally realistic heads… I prefer more cartoony or stylised heads, yes the sculpt cookie videos are very inspiring! I will definitely check out the planes of the head tutorial! I spend hours looking at zbrush timelapse sculpts sometimes, they can be very helpful. Thanks for stopping by! :slight_smile:

Some Fimo work, Zombie teeth and tongue. I made these quite a while ago, and they are not one of my best… but I’m thinking of redoing them maybe soon. Working on some eyes right now, will hopefully be able to post some pics soon :slight_smile:

Attachments

Made some Zombie teeth! Using Fimo, oil paints, and some Fimo deco gel with some red soft pastel for the blood. :slight_smile:

Attachments