Usefulness of Make Human?

Hello,

I am relatively new to character creation. I have been using blender for sometime now making small things like low poly rocks, teacups, and learning the general ins and outs of blender. I recently decided to start taking my skills to the next level and decided to make a video game. I was watching a tutorial on how to make a character and the program make human was used.

I am curious what is the usefulness of getting a program to build the human for you and just making everything else or would it be easier to make your own human?

Thank you for your help

Making realistic humans, or stylized humans, or cartoon humans, is much more difficult than making rocks and teacups. People study and practice for years to get good at it. Now, if this is something you want to do, go for it. However, if your interest is in gameplay and building levels, then having pre-made characters for your game can cut years off your development time.

Now, that being said, MakeHuman characters are pretty high poly, and getting more than a few of them into a game might slow it down to the point of being unplayable. So, even using MakeHuman models, you’d be wise to also learn re-topology so you can turn those models into something you can actually use in game.

Ok. That’s good to know. I can always retopologize them later. And add lod. In addition I have been drawing for years and have been an anatomy and science geek for even longer so I have a very good idea of how the human body is supposed to look

just go to geometries > topology and select a lower poly mesh

make human does make low poly meshes, and the file name is the verticies count

http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/makehuman_alternative_topologies.html