Blender on Smartphone

Hello Everyone,
I came across this application on Android named [Spacedraw](http:// www.scalisoft.com/) very good for modelling meshes. Though little confusing it is pretty neat considering it’s all on a Tablet or a smartphone. What I want to suggest is that can blender have such an application on smartphone which helps do some basic modelling and other stuff ]I am not sure how:confused]. When you aren’t on your Workstation it can really provee to be handy in doing some simple 3d editing. What are your thoughts on this?
Saving the .blend files or .obj files can be very useful which can be accessed later. Or maybe for demonstration of your low polygon meshes.

Basicly Android smartphones provide a real small screen, tablets are a bit larger.
They’re all a Linux variant (called android), so things could get ported to it, Blender is compiled to various Linux blends.

But on the practical side, Blender requires fast systems, fast Cpu’s and Gpu’s, blender editing requires all kind of keys and a big screen.

I’m not sure what the status of chromebooks are, as todoay they are still targeted as super light system (to stay at a low price level).
In that “latop” price level there inst a lot of fun to have with blender. If chromebooks becomme more like powerbooks or so, perhaps it be nice. Todays power usrers who would like a fast Blender build their own fancy PC, instal linux/Microsoft + Blender.
It does run on Mac too, but you cannt upgrade a Mac with a faster GPU for example (and if you do you break waranty).
BTW if you do own a Mac and would like faster render, look around for renderfarms…

So is there a market for it… ??? i doubt it.
There are dough some viewers who seam to be able to view small blend files
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.afanche.android.ATViewBlend

But if its only about showing, perhaps try blendforweb, and brouwse to it

If you want to test blender on an android device see http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Introduction/Installing_Blender/Android
Note that this will be the standard blender interface so useless on any small device

The question was not talking about rendering or doing any heavy work.

When you aren’t on your Workstation it can really provee to be handy in doing some simple 3d editing.
Blender can do ‘simple 3d editing’ on a crappy device. Blender is all but useless for phones/tablets because the interface is totally unsuitable for such devices

The closest I would like to see them get to blender on a smartphone is a basic model viewer. I’ve used spacedraw, if you are bored, killing time on the bus, it’s decent. but if you actually want to get work done, it’s useless. Maybe on a tablet it would be better, but 3d modeling is a complex task that is hard to simplify into a touch based interface.

Blender used to be on smartphones back in the day. I remember running it on my Treo 700wx running Windows Mobile 5.

Also, there is the Nvidia shield console…

Blending on a decent gpu with a big screen Tv
does not sound that bad.

… Until you actually think about it for more than 30 seconds. What do you see yourself actually doing in blender on a big screen tv? modeling? sculpting? coding? how would any of those be improved by being on a tv, rather than a monitor?

It’s always people who don’t understand what it takes to maintain a complicated piece of software who want to add it to more and more useless platforms…

Blender would be completely unusable on a phone or tablet. Blender’s goal is not to be a hobbyist toy for messing around on car trips. It’s a real, full-featured 3D suite. Asking for it work on more and more obscure platforms (and, yes, Android and iOS are obscure for work like this) and weaker and weaker hardware pushes Blender in the opposite direction that 3D software as a whole is moving. The .blend file format is completely open source. Writing a model viewer would be a pretty simple job for anyone willing to do so. But asking that it be a part of Blender itself would be a complete waste of what little time the existing developers already have.

in order to work properly on a tablet based device, blender might need some changes to the interface of the port.

Working on a smartphone screen however is a whole new beast that would require a total redesign of the interface.

All that said however, Autodesk has been testing the ground with such hobbyist software on android and ios phones/tablets for the last few years. If they are investing time and money in it, then they see some kind of potential for a future business development.
So dont underestimate tablets.

You could do a cut down version of blender with a different GUI- the way that krita devs did.

I see the interactions via google cardboard and some Ar technology

Also, maybe just use a android as a input or output tool?

Google tango looks like it could make phones nice tools,
for 3d scanning as well as for 3d mice and 3d Interaction using the scanner like a ubber leap control.

ok, since im already running my lumia as a desctop PC connected to big screen and connected to mouse and keyboard, why, and since my lumia have better config then my old PC why cant we have blender for phone platform, since smartphones are already replacing PC’s !?

uh… your phone isnt replacing my dual xeon pc lol

Mine either. Though, it’d probably render faster than my K2000!

not at all xD