"Smokescreen" over background image.

Blender 2.72 and using Internal renderer.

I’m using a “shadow only” plane behind my main object and placing these two objects up “against” the wall to give the impression of the main object being mounted on the wall and casting shadows. Working OK apart from one thing.

The problem is my background image is not like the original, it’s as though there’s a hazy smokescreen over the top. This is most apparent over the green vegetation at the bottom. Compare the original image with the rendering and you can clearly see the difference.

At first I wondered if it was something to do with the transparent shadow plane then I remembered the plane size only extends out from the main object just enough to catch the shadows, i.e. it is not covering the vegetation.

I’m very new to Blender so don’t know where to troubleshoot this.

Keith.

MY SHADOW TRY - REAL.blend (1.07 MB)

[ATTACH]365640[/ATTACH]

Your second attachment is invalid, making it a bit hard to see the issue…
However, you’re sending the background image through a quite heavy Brightness/Contrast compositing node:

This will totally wash out any colour in that image…

Thanks very much IkariShinji.

I’ll try adjusting the image in a graphics application then bringing it back in to Blender without the Brightness/Contrast node.

Keith.

There is nothing wrong with using the Brightness/Contrast node, but you cranked the brightness up to 15(!) - what kind of result did you expect from such an extreme value?

Crikey Ikari,

did you get out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

I appreciate your help but there’s no need to have a shot at me like that. Just explain what could be causing the problem, don’t talk to me like I did something stupid. Bare in mind you told me what could be causing the problem but you offered no alternative solution. Perhaps you just enjoy telling people what silly things they are doing.

First of all, I’m a beginner at this whole game so I had no idea what to expect. I simply kept increasing the brightness value until the image was acceptable. At this point I have no idea what would be an “extreme value” in that box.

Anyway I found a solution myself which keeps the original image exactly as it is, and in the process is less work in Blender.