Realistic Eye

Hi all,

This is something I’ve been working on the last couple of days. I still don’t think that it’s that realistic, but I can’t tell what it is… What stands out for you? I need to make this look photoreal. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Update; going to add the eye to this eye socket.

Attachments

i put sss on the white part, that helps a lot for realism…i think your bumps are too strong. … i do not understand what the value 1.5 id doing in the color input of the glass shader, is there something missing? … a hdri map for reflection does wonders…

Thanks for the feedback! I did put some SSS on…but I might need to turn up the scale a little bit. I turned the bump down, should be slightly better now. The Multiply node in the colour of the glass node is to brighten the colour, because for me, the default is just too dark. And I totally forgot the HDR…Added that :wink:

Attachments

That looks better, but there isn’t enough reflection on the pupil, all your reflection seems to be on the outer layer. An eyes pupils look like little black mirrors when viewed close up -

Attachments

In the reference image the reflection isent on the pupil specificaly as the strong reflection on the left of the pupil continue troug the iris. It only show more on the pupils because it’s a darker background for the white reflection.

I think the cornea is too bumpy compare to the eyeball, the pupils are not black enough and the reflection maybe a bit to strong.
But it’s hard to realy tell as the eye is already pretty good I cant realy say if the pupil is not black enought or greyes by to much reflection of the floor for exemple.

How did you choose the IOR? I would have go for water myself, I’m curiouse how you choose it.

Edit: after looking at some eyes anatomical board because it was intriguing me, the cornea isent too bumpy in fact. It’s more that the transition betwine the cornea and the rest of the eyeball need to be smoother.

http://pedagogie.cegep-fxg.qc.ca/profs/aduhamel/tov/oeil-plancheB.htm

yes, much better already… oh, for getting the eyewhite lighther, you not need the color of glossy stronger, but disable the shadows in rayvisible tab for the glass object (needs be separate geometry from the eyeball for this). also, your pupil is not black enough, do you have modeled the pupil as a recession, or is it just painted on the texture? i model it as a cylindrical hole, so it adds depth to the eye. you can then adjust the height of this cylinder to get the effect you want.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

@Androol; the IOR is the human cornea refraction. I found it out here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refractive_indices

What i’ve fixed; Added displacement to the sclera, made the pupil a separate object from the iris, tweaked the hdr a little, tweaked the shaders, added a very very slight roughness to the reflections, turned up the SSS, tweaked lighting.

Attachments

Thx for the IOR thing.

I read on some other posts that the fresnel node dont give the good IOR compare to the value you enter in it and you have to make the curve yourself if you want it right but I dont know if its true for the glass shader too but it will make sens as if I anderstanded well on the fresnel one its on purpose ( cant get how you make somthing wrong on purpose but I may missing some element to comprehend it)

On a semantic side you cant realy make a separate pupil object as the pupil is the hole in the iris. Even if everyone andersant what you both mean by that, so I will use the same semantic bending. I toy a lot with poser and daz models and a tricks they use I think is to put the pupil above the iris. This way you can easily rig or key shape it to get the stretching efect of the iris but I think it will even more realist to put it under the iris so you realy stresh the iris part instead as it work in a real eye. Your pupil’s black is far better now by the way.

One thing that still bother me is the green of your iris that is like leaking in the eyeball at the border. I watched some eyes image to compare and there is a little of this effect but I think yours is not dark enough and probably too large. I think in reality a little bit of the color of the iris pass throug the white on the border where they join but as your iris color is a dark green using light green on the border of the eyeball make a strange effect.

I may be totaly wrong as allways. :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback!

I do see that green ring around the iris… I tried turning off the SSS, and replacing it with a diffuse node… but it was still there, so then I found out it was the glass node, that is slightly distorting the iris, a problem I have never had with eyes before… It would be the solidify modifier that I put on the glossy part of the eye?

Here’s a Hi-res render I rendered last night;

Attachments

hi bonrw1

this is a very nice tutorial

shaun

Okay, so I thought I would continue this eye project, and make some eyelids to go with it! Just some test renders…

Attachments

The lacrimals look wrong too me, too high maybe. It also need more detailing and pinker and glossier material. All the parts touching the eyeball may need to be pinkier as well.

A render from view 3, asuming the first render is from view1, may help criticise.

Did you avoid using your fancy eyeball because it’s too distracting?

Your also missing some eyelash. But I guess you’re just not there yet, as it’s highly improbable you didn’t realise it. ^^

All that said, the skin material and modeling look very good.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I haven’t put the eye in yet, I am just working on the skin materials and modelling at the moment. Yes, I haven’t added eyelashes yet, they will all come later :slight_smile:

hi bonrw1

looking good, waiting to see more.

shaun