Can or can not Cycles bake a glossy component

I have spent thirty minutes searching the threads and can’t seem to find a definitive answer. I do remember seeing someone saying no that gloss couldn’t be baked. But in Andrews baking tutorial some objects seem to have some gloss in there.

The problem is when I use the regular setup: Diffuse - Glossy nodes with a Mix Shader the bake is black. I have no problems with bakes unless a Glossy Shader is in the mix. Is there a special node setup or is glossy something that can’t be baked like glass is. I’m using combined for the Bake Type I should mention. And, the Bake Type: has Glossy in the pop up menu three times just adding to the confusion.

Have you some kind of environment for the glossy shader to show

Richard thanks for taking the time. And, your results were a pleasant and welcomed surprise to me. If I understand your question right I do. The object I’m specifically referring to is that back blue wall which originally was glass but is now simply a mirror. Lite by one huge area light in the overhead. And, reflecting three walls and that same overhead.

According to what you’ve done here I see no reason why it shouldn’t bake. Unless you or someone picks up on something in the screenshot or my description. I’ll be trying again later today. Once again thanks.

The bake went without a hitch only with some unexpected results. (Image) So I tried it again with just the Glossy Node (No color or value) with the same results. Maybe acceptable for a smaller mirrored surface in the frame but not this.

However, as the man showed glossy can be baked in Cycles. And, while it didn’t exactly pull this off I’m just happy it can be baked to a surface. If anyone knows of a way to rectify what happened with this large mirrored surface please let me know.

theoldghost, with backing impossible bake mirrors (glossy reflections is the mirror reflections with roughness). You need to put the second camera behind the plane of the wall. Hide the plane of the wall. Render the scene from that point + Z pass. Then apply the resulting image on the plane of the wall. Finish then you can get glossy by combining the value of Z and normal bump distortion…but if your main camera angle is changed, then you need change angle of second camera and repeat all actions at start…

Fascinating workaround, Old_Demon, and one I wouldn’t have thought of. Thanks. But, it is going to be a moving camera and once I removed the glass node from that mirror it’s really not that expensive in render time. I baked a few more items and got this shot down to 1:25 which I’m more then happy with.

On my card in Cycles with no bake we are talking 15:00 minutes to hell freezing over per frame. And, Yafaray was taking 6:00 minutes. This baking thing is a gift in certain situations alright. Some folks have a mind which can go outside the box, as in your workaround, but mine seems not to. I’ve been attempting to work on that but maybe it’s not something you can acquire. :slight_smile: