Ideas on how to create THIS certain look on a render

Hi guys, i am pretty new here, and i have a question concerning a movie project i have just started.

The idea is to create a story within a world, looking much alike as the World in the game “Inside” by Playdead.
I am not allowed to post any Links, yet, but check it out on google, you can easily find a trailer or something.
The idea was to play mainly with shadows, silhouettes in between 2D and 3D (I am no native speaker, i hope you understand what i meant to say).

I have been learning Blender for like 4 month now, so it’s maybe a little to far for my skills.
But i would really like to know, whether some of you have any idea, how to create such a look.

The cartoon look is not the big deal, i already found that out. But the thing which troubles me a lot, is the dust in the background.

I’ve tried the world volume scatter already, and it was horrible. I have no clue how to do this. Is it more a composite thing ? (Please correct me if i have posted this on the wrong thread)
Another example of what i am looking for, is the game “Limbo”, which is quite famous, too. It’s also by Playdead.

I hope some of you have any thoughts on it, and any idea is welcome.
Thanks in advance,

WOAH, you already started a project when just started Blender? My advice is for you to either cancel it or keep it in your journal until you become really familiar with Blender. Even after 2 yrs, I am still learning a lot.

Whatever, here is a real advice. Remove the material of whatever object you have that you want to be completely black. That means that it will absorb all light coming at it, and do nothing with it.

Your best bet is to play with lighting to get that sort of look… very dim lighting in the background, stronger lights in the foreground. I think using the compositor would be a good thing, too. Look for z-buffer, it’s a photography term, so z means distance from camera, not up as is usual in Blender. Good luck. That’s an interesting look you’re after.

Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley: