Need help with render settings! 10+ hours on GTX 980 (Cycles)

Hi,
I’m kind of new to Blender, even though I have been using it on and off for 6 months now.

I am feeling more and more confident in my modelling-skills, but my render-“skills” are awful…

The scene took me over… I think it was 12 hours to render on a MSI GeForce GTX 980 GAMING 4G.

For this scene I used cycles with a resolution of 1920x1200, plus these settings:

Scene:

I would appreciate all feedback on how I could make this process more efficient!
Hopefully upping the resulting quality of the image :slight_smile:

Check that Squared Samples checkbox, and knock the render samples down to about 5 at first and work your way up. 1000 is way to high…
Your effectively rendering at 4000 samples right now.
Your samples for each individual sample is too high also for such a simple scene.
I would suggest watching this video if you are going to use branched path tracing…

Thanks for the tips!
I will tweak them when I get off work, but about how long would a simple scene like this normally take to render in cycles? (with the correct settings)

A scene like that should easily render in under 2 minutes with a decent GPU or even CPU.

edit: my suggestions to get a faster render.

1. change branched path back to path tracing
  2. set your render samples to 200, (you may be able to get by with as few as 100 samples)
  • note these samples are different than the ones under branched tracing.
  1. set clamp indirect to 1.0 (leave clamp direct at 0.0)
  2. under light paths, set your integrator presets to limited Global Illumination

That should give you a nice quick render if nothing else has been changed from the defaults. Since you don’t have anything glossy in your scene, it should clean up very quickly and not need many samples.

Setting the clamp indirect will help clean up any remaining noise, and the limited GI option removes caustics calculations, further clearing up potential noise.

@rcpongo
Thank you SO MUCH!
Rendering time went down to 1h 44min from 12+hours! (at 100 samples)
A little strange if it should go down to 2 minutes though:confused:
But alas a big improvement!

And thanks for explaining what the Limited Global Illumination preset was :slight_smile:

Hey Presper, can you double-check and make sure you have your render settings set to GPU Compute, and not CPU? That render time still looks high - a 980 should be able to do 100 samples of that scene in a couple minutes tops.

Double-checked, but it’s still slow…
I tried to remove a lot of elements from the view and outside the view, but it only cut it down 12 minutes, now renders at 1h 32min.
It’s still @ 100 samples

Rendering is always scene dependent. If you truly want in-depth advice on how to optimize the render speed, it might be best if you would upload the scene e. g. to pasteallso we can see the whole picture: render settings, materials and lighting etc.

It’s definitively rendering on the GPU

This is how it looks like right now (test rendering)

@IkariShinji Uploaded to pasteall: http://pasteall.org/blend/34913

First glance: You still have “Square Samples” checked. So you’re in fact not rendering 100, but 100 x 100 = 10000 samples!

42 sec @ 100 samples :open_mouth:

3min 13 sec @ 500 samples :smiley:

So from what you say, when I rendered at 1000 samples before I effectively rendered @ 1.000.000 samples? That’s crazy!

A big thanks to everyone for helping me with this, you have all been a great help!

Btw, do you have any tips for the noise in the middle? I know it’s caused by the 5 light-sources around and under the flame, but I want the flame to be bright as well as lighting up the camp :slight_smile:

Had a quick test run with the scene (here’s the full res png).

Render time about 7 minutes on my (old) GTX 680. 750 samples (square samples unchecked), path tracing.
Some things I changed in the file:

• Displacement modifiers without texture > deleted
  • Complex shader on bench, which somehow still looked diffuse only > now diffuse only
  • The point lights for the fire were quite large (2 Blender Units), led to “soft” lighting > made smaller and less powerful
  • Fire mesh set to not cast shadows - it’s the fire after all…:wink:

Kind of in a hurry right now, but setting the samples to something more reasonable should get you a long way!

18 min @ 3000 samples :slight_smile:
Adjusted somewhat like you did, made the emitter below the fire stronger and slightly changed the direction of the “moon” (sun)

To do: Adding a better bench (in progress), maybe add displacement and decimate modifiers to the trees (I do like them as they are, but it can’t hurt to try!), fix the snow on the rocks. At last I will post-edit stars and maybe some snow (falling).

You need also choose “GPU compute” in render tab in right panel, under Device option.

Edit:
I have seen in the .blend you already have selected GPU compute

Here’s another. Switch back to GPU compute and set the tile sizes for GPU rendering.

Forest_camp_winter_snow_Scene_ja12.blend (817 KB)