Random Z value per object

HI!

I’m trying to create a material (the “How are you” LED texture) with a random Z position per object.

All my objects (the extruded rectangles on the left) are unwrapped.

I’m trying to feed the R socket of a combine RGB node with the random socket of the Object info node. The G and B sockets are fed by the corresponding sockets of a Separate RGB node fed by the UV coordinates.

But it doesn’t work as I expected and after fiddling for too long, I hope someone will be kind enough to help me solve this!:eyebrowlift2:

Thanks a lot!
Nicolas

Assuming the texture itself is oriented horizontally, you should be adding to the X coordinate (which is U for UV):

If the texture is oriented vertically, then you’d need to add to the Y value (which is V for UV).

let me see if I understood correctly… You want to have the texture starting differently in each object?

edited: and Stan going for speed :wink:

Yes! That’s the thing! Hurrah! :smiley:

But I really struggled to find out what was previousl wrong… I was using a Converter/Math node instead of a Vector math node… :no:

Do you know when to use one or another? Or the MixRgb by the way?

Thanks so much for your help! Brilliant!

I’d say “whatever is most convenient in a given situation”: if you already have the coordinates separated from previous steps, there’s little sense to combine them to, e.g. add to just one component, for example. As of now, operations like Add/Subtract with MixRGB are interchangeable with those of Vector Math node. However, for clarity (and to avoid possible conflicts in the future), it’s better to use nodes appropriate to the data being manipulated (MixRGB for colors, Vector Math for vectors, etc.).

Thanks a lot for making this clearer! And more thanks for your quick answers!
Nicolas