Remember selected component (Vertex-Edge-Face)

Hello,

I have some problems figuring out how to make Blender remember what I had selected previously while switching through the various mode. For example, I’d expected that after selecting some Faces, changing to Edge mode, making some edits, and then moving back to Face mode, I’ll find the same selection I made, before switching to Edge mode, instead, I get the selections transposed in the various mode.

http://i.imgur.com/RJwqQnCl.png

Searching through the various options I couldn’t find anything, and other Blender users on Polycount confirmed that you can’t do that.

I think that having the ability to select what you want independently from what your previous selection was while keeping the selection in store, is a nice thing to have, to explain better how this works in other software (Cinema 4D in this case) I made a video.

In use example

Since this discussion may comprehend another functionality, that from what I can see Blender lacks, that is the ability to set a component selection (Edges, Vertices or Faces) and store it, like a group, so that you can recall your selection when needed.

1 Like

Your videos are private so they can’t be viewed.

Switching from one mode to another seems to be working as expected (from my point of view) so i don’t see what the problem is (unless you’re comparing it to another program)

If i select a face in face mode i expect to see 4 edges highlighted in edge mode
If i select 4 faces next to each other in face mode,i expect to see 12 edges highlighted in edge mode.

If i select 2 edge rings running next to each other in edge mode,i expect to have an edge loop selected in face mode (which unfortunately doesn’t happen :(,but i’m fine with it )

Sorry, I preview them before posting and they worked, probably because I was still logged in.

I didn’t need them too, until I found that my workflow is heavily based on it, you can’t always think in advance and have everything ready before selection something, casually in the second video I made a mistake, and I forgot to straighten some edges, if I couldn’t rely on having my selection stored, I’d have to select everything again, imagine that on a more complex object, like a car, you’ll end up wasting a lot of time selecting stuff over and over again.

I don’t mean to force Blender to behave like the other software, but rather to have the ability to chose how he handle its various selections. The real issue I have is not that it transposes your selection in the various modes, but that it can’t keep the selection and there is no way to store it.

Other applications provides you with a specific function to convert your selection, otherwise they manage Vertices, Edges and Faces as separate entities. What I was looking for is a way to have them available to me later, even store them would be good, like Cinema 4D Selection Tag or XSI Clusters.

For a matter of fact, converting 2 perpendicular Edge loops is not possible even in Cinema 4D (that’s what I use), probably because it doesn’t know which polygons it have to select, you can increase the tolerance, and it will select the Faces inside your Edge loop, and the Faces nearby. The workaround is to use Fill Selection.

To make it more clear, I’m not saying “make Blender like Cinema 4D”, what I was really looking for is standardization of its tool sets.

I’ve also noticed this. It would be great to have an option somewhere which you could turn on if you want Blender to remember the last element selection. That would be very handy for me too and I’m also missing this coming from 3ds max.

1 Like