Why even create GoB for Blender if it's so hard to maintain compatibility...

…between the two? Since Blender is updated every month or so, most ZBrush owners (from what i’ve seen) are having a hard time getting GoB to work with a certain version of Blender. I have burnt up so much time and wits trying to get it to work with .73 that i just can’t keep wrestling with this any longer. And i can’t afford another 3d package, ‘guaranteed’ to work via GoZ, so i’m up a creek, seeing that i’ve already spent 800 on ZB (which i could barely afford) and now need an animation package to work in tandem with it. Blender is my only choice it seems. And it seems that since the devs know Blender has a new version rolling out each month, they would make sure GoB worked with each new iteration - or why even make the bloody thing in the first place…what??..just so one or two (older) versions - which happened to jive with it then - would work correctly with it?! That would be like EXXON creating a type of gas that only worked in one make of car . And i HAVE read where a few chaps had success with .72 and .73 and i did exactly what they did, but it didn’t work for me so there ya go.

Anyway, please forgive the ranting. If anyone has any ideas, that hasn’t been presented already, i’d love to hear it. I don’t want to use any other version but 2.73. My specs are: Win 7 (64-bit), i7, 24GB, ZBrush 4r7 (64-bit) and a NVidia GTX 660.

Much thanks for any advice you can offer…

Tim

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Granted, GoB doesn’t ship with Blender AFAICT, so you’ll have to take up your issue with GoB’s developer(s). That said, why not just use the previous version of Blender that you know works. It’s always available. If you need features from a more recent release, you can always save your .blend file and re-open in the more recent version to do the animation. Should work without at hitch.

First of all, GoB is not an addon created by the Blender team. Second… I have no idea what you’re talking about. GoB works fine here and I build Blender at least twice a day from the master repository.

First, please forgive for posting in the wrong place. Second, i should have mentioned that i knew the BF devs didn’t make GoB, but whoever did, it ‘seems’ they would have made a way whereby it would work with every new version that rolled out each month, unless it’s just me, as m9105826 did point out he’s had good success with it (with any version??) as well as many others, naturally, and maybe i just need to step away from it for a few days; i have had a busy and sleepless week this week. But…i saw a good many posts of people who where having problems with it too (more specifically, getting it to work with a favorite version). I read so many different ways of configuring that i guess i got lost in all the ‘do this then do that’. I know little about building Blender from a master repository (i’m presently like an ‘advanced beginner’). I DID try .72, even though i wanted .73, yet still had no joy, and i am fairly well versed in computers so i don’t know what i’m doing so wrong. What you said m9105826, in your 2nd sentence, has me not only embarrassed, but even more confused now than ever. It just will not WORK for me, AUGHHH! Anyway, i’ll give it a rest for awhile, get some sleep, then return with either an answer of success or another question of dismay, but regardless thanks again for the replies and your time!!

Tim
p.s. forgot to mention i downloaded a demo of Lightwave and GoZ worked flawlessly with ZB.

‘you can always save your .blend file and re-open in the more recent version to do the animation’

I can’t believe i didn’t think about that. I must be worn out. I’ll just lay her down for a day or two then come back and start again (with v72). Thanks again

And i can’t afford another 3d package, ‘guaranteed’ to work via GoZ, so i’m up a creek, seeing that i’ve already spent 800 on ZB (which i could barely afford) and now need an animation package to work in tandem with it.
You do not need GoB to use ZBrush with Blender. It’s only a time saver if you are constantly moving your model from the one application to the other

For the installation, can you show where you have added the blender folder for Goz and does the addon get enabled in blender. Using the latest version and ZB4R7 and blender 2.73 it works fine after following the installation instructions

Just to mention - no one here saying “Script just works” mentions what OS are they using.

Inside the script, simplified, there are two things done: Object being packed/unpacked to/from ‘proprietized’ obj format and files read/write.
File read/write part has OS specific to it and i have to say that on Win OS here script which i downloaded from here failed.

I do not own Zbrush and i doubt i’ll install some test version to check if proprietary part is compatible with recent ZB but file read/save works here after some edits.

1. ZBrush r7: From an OSX user’s perspective, exporting zbrush polypaint (Vpaint) is not working via VRML or STL (3dprint) addon.
    the only way to export such an information is GoB. So far.
  2. Following instructions for setting up GoB perfectly works. I don’t see any reason for not working on newer builds of blender. Of course something might dramatically change soon, I can’t figure what it could be. I’m sure, people involved on GoB developing aware of it.
    GoB works fine on my daily home builds and ZB r7. So far. (OSX)

m910 why would you need to build it twice a day? well unless you are responsible for maintaining the compiling scripts/code.

but if it used to work for you keep multiple versions of blender on your computer and import it with the version that worked, save the blend, then open the blend with your preferred version. even writing a macro that would do it for you shouldn’t be too hard.