thoughts and opinion about game

The game i am making with blockworldeasydemo2 blend has too much lag with animated characters.To remedy this i am going to make the enemies into red cubes that follow you around.Then when you they get near them the game would switch scenes to non cube ground with animated characters and then you would have fight them there.When you beat them it would switch back to cubeground.It is vegetablejuicef’s demo.
Any thoughts or opinions.

Would not like.
you could have animated flat sprites for far enemies, most games make them so.
Dead rising 3 i guess…

Are you sure it was because my demo that it lagged? :smiley:

Pretty sure you used too high detail characters…
Maybe show the character in a separate blend, with only one light and a floor.

Okay here is the blend.It is unsubsurfaced.

Attachments

bird part human kangaroo .blend (1.1 MB)

41 bones… :eek:

and there are too many polys for that level of detail, even though that shouldn’t be the main bottle neck.

Use shapekeys for finger, toe, face animations.
And bones( less than 10) for limbs, torso and head.

This is what i was going to type.
It will be the main character for the game.With two of these the frame rate drops significantly.Even if they are made no collision.Since
i want a town of these the lag will present a problem.Even if i use lod.
I will try to make it have less bones.I don’t know if that will affect my animation.I hope it don’t.

I know this sounds stupid, but copy( recreate ) the minecraft character.
It has the lowest possible polygon count.
And your walking animation can be the legs straight back and forth.
Then evaluate your performance.

At this state don’t be worried about scrapping your character setup, it won’t be in the final product for sure.
Borderlands didn’t have a main character almost to the end of developement, only a placeholder with out a head.

Are minecraft characters one mesh or many seperate meshes?Like this?

Attachments

mind.blend (435 KB)

One single mesh!
what kind of question is that?
Of course one mesh.

All rigged up, 5 bones, all vertex groups named properly.
Hands are ““separate””, legs are attached.

Now do a simple animation.

Attachments

character.blend (468 KB)

I already made one. Because i cannot upload the save file with the blend.I cannot post the blend.I think that would cause a problem.
I wish the save file was in the blend.I get a framerate of nine.Maybe that is because i have enemies firing instance objects at the player.The instanced bullets end after a while.Here is mine.Could you do the test?

Attachments

greeny.blend (2.02 MB)

You shouldn’t waste time changing things because you think something is the cause of slowdown. Instead, look at the profile information, and post some profile results.

Logic is at ninety three percent in the profile.

You know you can upload a zip file? :eyebrowlift:
Also, not really on the track, but you don’t have to upload the map, my blend just created a new one if one wasn’t present.
The problem is in something you have done.

Also my world handler is at fault of about 1-5 ms of logic time, depending on your setup.

okay here it is.

Attachments

blockWorldEasyDemo2.blend (3.85 MB)

Percentages are somewhat useless without ms values, though in this case that is partially informative. ms values are absolute time values, whilst I can still have 90% logic usage at 60fps.

Did anyone check my blend?

Yes, it is your npc that cause it.

You MUST use the “register interactor” SPARINGLY.

You register 150 new npc in 10 sec of gameplay or so!

Also, work on how you organize your project, doing anything there is a pain, of course it takes so much time to respond.
Don’t have duplicate object, don’t spawn a spawner that spawns spawners ( or something like that you did).
Name your objects sensibly.
Don’t keep backups in the same blend, blends do corrupt ( not that often,but to scare you… ).