How to create a rope for a trebuchet?

Hi!

I am working on a trebuchet or counterweight catapult, for 3D printing. It occurred to me to try an animated version first, so I did, but when I tried to attach a mesh to an empty which is parented to the tip of the swinging arm, the rope just drops to the floor when I press Alt A.

So, how do I bind the origin of the rope to the tip of the pivoting arm, so that it would follow the arm when it pivots? The rope has been loopcut a miwwion times, and it acts like rope when the physics is started.

Make a vertex group on the rope where the rope’s vertices connect to the trebuchet. Then, if the rope is using cloth physics, set the cloth’s ‘Pinning’ to use the vertex group. Alternatively, if the rope is using soft body physics, set the ‘Soft Body Goal’ to use the vertex group. Now when you animate, the vertex group that you made will stay connected to the trebuchet, while the rest of the rope will act according to the physics you have assigned.

Man, that did it! Thank you so much!

Now just to figger how to create the call holding pouch and the release mechanism for the rope at the top of the swing etc… :stuck_out_tongue: