P2design - How to set normal and Bump maps in CYCLES

Here is a new tutorial for beginners to advanced users of Blender covering the setup of normal maps and bump maps in Cycles.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364858[/ATTACH]

hi pieriko, first let me thank you for this great video tutorial, it clearifies a lot about normal plus bump mapping for me…
i have a question, that arose also in some other of your tutorials. it is about a very neat trick you are using all the time.

for example, in this video at time 10:37 we can see that you use in the material node editor window a node “viewer”. you seem to use it the same way it works in the compositor window, with shift clicking on a node makes the connection to the viewer and shows the result in the preview render… but, how did you get the viewer node??? i mean, it is not available in the “add” menu for nodes. i tried to copy a viewer node from the compositor over to the material editor, but this did not work… so, how did you do that? i would love to have this too, as it would simplify my workflow for material creation a lot.

In the video, pieriko is using the ‘node wrangler’ addon, which is not enabled by default. The viewer node is in fact just an emission shader.The default shortkey for previewing a node output is CTRL+SHIFT+LMB.

ah, there it is, thanks secrop, this works now :slight_smile:

Thanks pieriko another excellent tut!

Hi Doris, sorry I didn’t overview this thread before… Anyway, thanks Secrop for the answer :o

Hi Umii, thanks for the encouraging comment.