How can I fix my feets bending?

I’m still trying to import my character from dazstudio to blender and the rigging isent realy well exported as you can see on the feet that are the worst part. I know almost nothing about rigging soft object as the only fully rigued figure I ever made was a robot like 10 years ago. I tryed to find tutorial about riging but they were all based on very simplistic cartoon figure so I didnt realy watch them to the end aint one ( who was about riggify add on) as I doubt they were facing probleme you get with anatomicaly corect char. I tryed however to move the bones in edit mod to change the center of rotation and toyed with the weight paint as it seamed the logic way to fix this but with poor result. The weight paint help but it’s still not usable so I’m guessing I have to do more than that. I joined an image of the original bending just after import. Any direction or clue of how to do it right is welcome.

There are two ways to fix bending, proper weight painting and correctional shapekeys. Put your effort into getting the best deformation you can with weight painting. Then, add shapekeys and drivers to apply those shapekeys automatically.

IMHO, daz figures are too high poly to mess with in blender. I can get the same results with a 4k poly model (with two levels of sub surf) then I can with a daz or poser figure with 60k(+) polys. If possible, import your obj or dae at the lowest poly count you can.

Well I basicaly anderstand nothing but I guess I may go closer by trying to search what drivers and corectional shape key means and it may give me the direction I m looking for so thx.

I anderstanded resolution lvl in daz as basicaly subsurf lvl. So import them in high res is basicaly like having aplyed subsurf on it, no?

And as I read somwere that subsurf slowed render compare to real polys, why lower the res to add subsurf? And if it’s too high poly I can simply undivide the model with decimate I think but I have to low memory on my gpu for most char including render anyway so as I m forced to render when I sleep, 2 or 3 hour more wont realy mater.^^

The G2F I imported with lvl 1 subdivision has actualy 22k face ( or by polys your meaning tris if so its 44) so well 4k with 2 lvl of subsurf is far above that range and I’m counting the tail and cat ears. :smiley:

I’ll be interested in understanding the interest of using subsurf instead of importing like the subsurft were already aplyed if I’m missing somthing here.

You already know what shape keys are (from the other thread I answered), correctional shape keys are just shape keys, but they are called correctional shape keys because their purpose is to correct bad deformation. Generally, you control correctional shape keys by using drivers so they work without any input from the animator. Take your foot example, you’d have a shape key to correct the bad deformation, it would be controlled by a driver that’s linked to the rotation of the foot bone. As the foot bone is rotated, the shape key value is adjusted by the driver.

I anderstanded resolution lvl in daz as basicaly subsurf lvl. So import them in high res is basicaly like having aplyed subsurf on it, no?

And as I read somwere that subsurf slowed render compare to real polys, why lower the res to add subsurf? And if it’s too high poly I can simply undivide the model with decimate I think but I have to low memory on my gpu for most char including render anyway so as I m forced to render when I sleep, 2 or 3 hour more wont realy mater.^^

Subsurf does not really slow down render times. If a model has 20k verts and the subsurf modifier is added, it will have 80k verts when sent to the render engine. It is true that 20K verts will render faster than 80k verts, so yes, it does slow down the rendering. But, render a 20k verts model with subsurf (so 80k verts sent to render engine), and render an 80k verts model without subsurf, and your render times will be about the same. Of course, I speak of similar models, textures, lighting, and materials also affect render times.

If you are going to pose or animate the character (which I assume you are going to do) stay away from decimate. Decimate will reduce the # of verts, but it wrecks the mesh topology and edge flow. In order for a mesh to deform properly it’s edge flow and topology need to be correct. Decimate will wreck the topology and you will have worse deformation problems than you have now.

The G2F I imported with lvl 1 subdivision has actualy 22k face ( or by polys your meaning tris if so its 44) so well 4k with 2 lvl of subsurf is far above that range and I’m counting the tail and cat ears. :smiley:

I’ll be interested in understanding the interest of using subsurf instead of importing like the subsurft were already aplyed if I’m missing somthing here.

If you are animating, the lower the poly count the better. Lower poly count = faster viewport playback speed. To animate, you really need to see the animation playback in the 3d view at the correct frame rate. A lower poly mesh can do this, then when it’s time to render, the higher subsurf levels are used.

Also, think about this, you got a high poly count mesh, now you need to create correctional shape keys… I’d rather create shape keys with a 4k mesh over an 80k mesh any day…

I’ve seen a couple of daz meshes in blender, and they are more complex/dense than needed to be to work in blender…

Randy

Thx.
Well when I said I anderstand nothing I wasent meaning I didnt anderstand any word used but the meaning of them together.

I dont remember were I reed this but aparently opinion differ on the matter of subsurf slowing render time or I get it wrong the first time as I basicaly anderstanded that if you aplyed the modifier it will render faster ( not that it rendered faster without modifier that is obviouse for me too) but I guess if its the case its not realy that important since you say it isent.

I dont realy intend on animating anything but animation method are very usefull for posing things acurately and if you can get thing right for animating it will be right for simple posing too. Not sure if the contrary will be as true.

Anyway I anderstand the “better make new shape key at 4k poly than 40k” and the “dont decimate it will break everything” it will be usefull when I end up doing shape key even If I wonder if it is as true in sculpt mode for the 4k part. But as I’m very bad with sculpt ( even worth than at box modeling) I will go for the lower poly import in my next char import.

I’m actualy trying to use rigify, instead of the daz imported skeleton and weight paint, to see if it end with better result but I m pretty sur it wont. As I started it, I’ll try to finish this way and probably end up restarting on the daz skeleton and trying to do this corection shape key and driver thing anyway.