climbing

Hi how make climbing like in assasin creed

Haven’t played the games, but I have seen a few videos of Assassin’s Creeds. I thought it used nodes to traverse the world, but that would take too much time to place. So it’s probably raycasts on nearby edges that designates where to climb.

I’m just gonna guess when you press a direction, it basically does raycasts in that direction to see what you can climb on, and does so in multiple directions (forward, down, up, etc). If it’s within a certain distance, then it moves the player toward that point. Once the movement portion of the code works fine, animation is created to sync up with it and look like he’s climbing along the indicated surface toward the goal. Gravity is probably suspended for the player while all this goes on.

If you go with grip points, then you’d place invisible nodes (objects) that designate where you can climb. This might be the easier method in a game with lots of little things to climb on, like umbrellas or fruit stands or something. There might be pre-created or programmatically created links between each node to indicate which ones you can travel between, or it could just be a straight distance and/or ray check (if the player is close enough to a grip point and there’s nothing in the way, then they can jump / climb to it).

Just some ideas so far.

If you’re going to do it in the BGE, you need to know Python. It’s a pretty big system; a lot more complex than simple ledge climbing, so I dunno if anyone has a working demo.

I Think the buildings have predefined places to climb like rocks, pieces of wood, and so on that has spicific properties that let him climb on them. When to climb or to not climb is determined by ray cast sensors pointing on the specified direction and ley you scale to the most near climbable object. Now the really hard thing cames with the setup of the player armature. I think that it works by this way:

It has some empties in specific places of the armature like arms hands and legs. The inverse kinematics of the armature has to be perfectly natural. And when you start the climbing part after the initial comprobations (you can or not climb) the magic starts: a really really well done algorythm that parent the bones to that specific empties (the bones copy the location of the empties) make them simulate a very studied form of parkour climbing. I mean the animation is done logically by a script that put the empties of the hands and foots un the right location and the inverse kinemathics do the rest.

Thats my opinion of how to do it in the BGE But im sure that the engine that ubisoft uses has some animation controlling in real time that allow to do it a little more easy the process. Thats my opinion

this may be usefull… (this files arent mine, this file are property of Thatimst3r)
wall running: http://www.mediafire.com/download/anj9qvftml8jm09/wall+running+demo.blend
Ledge climbing: http://www.mediafire.com/download_repair.php?dkey=0f2edrfm0e6&qkey=j3la2h7g1nm7cm2

U can play around whith this files and u will have an idea of how to doit better

This is an old file I posted a while ago, press CTRL and move near a wall should let you climb on the surface, you could maneuver around corners too… buggy… but should work for the most part

Attachments

GamePlay_Trial.blend (859 KB)