Perplexed about brushed metals in Cycles

Watching Andrew Price tutorial about brushed metals I see that the final image shows the usual lots-of-scratches appearance of the surface. I tried with current-day Blender and there is no sign of these scratches. B.t.w., I noticed that in recent questions about brushed metals people appear to force the microstructure thru stretched noise textures plugged into the displacement channel.

Am I missing something whale-sized or the Cycles anisotropic shader behaviour has changed and I have to create the scratches manually <supremely perplexed guy icon>?

The anisotropic shader only mimics the light reflection of materials with micro-scratches in the same direction (controlled by the tangent vector and the rotation factor). But it won’t give the results you’re expecting if the scratches are bigger (in which you need normal/displace maps), or if the scratches have random directions (which requires some different approaches and tricks)

if I remember well in the tut from Andrew Price tutorial about brushed metals

he is using images of scratches to get the effect !

but can also be done with noise texture scaled and displacement !

happy bl

No, in that tutorial the micro-scratches seem to appear out of thin air, provided by the anisotropic shader and this is the reason for my question, since nowadays the anisotropic shader provides only the large scale structure.

Well, time to fire up Genetica and create some brushed metal normal maps.

Thank you to every responder.

We now have a new anisotropic shading model available, which allows something I found very hard to do before - highly anisotropic with a low visible roughness. As for textures, I have a hard time making procedural textures tile properly without having a visible triangle blend showing ( think coordinate modifier as this: /\ ), or having density vary properly closer to center (for a radial surface roughness lay).