the future of bge?

Hi folks, i ´ve been working whith bge for a while but this time using the blender game engine have put me to think. how it will be in the future the BGE, we will have any improvements? like get try to equal the power of a commercial game engine like CRY ENGINE or UDK and add more features beside work in the logic bricks that is really outdated and should have alot more functions and should be more easy to use without all get messy or they will just keep having the bge as an appart characteristic and just doing to it minor updates… i would want to see in a future the bge so powerfull as an comercial engine, u think we will see that in the future?

Do you code python at the moment?

what feature are you looking at?

maybe a future were our loved BGE can equal the power a cry engine or UDK… but that can sound imposible huh XD

For educational purposes BGE is the best one

If by surpassing the UDK you also mean Unreal 4, that will pretty much be impossible.

Unreal 4 is open source for people with a subscription and they have quite an army of developers working away on a daily basis (resulting in massive release logs). The BGE community has just now managed to cobble a new dev. team together with some long time users getting commit rights (and right now is only like 5 people total).

The BGE devs. cannot even think of adding in major new pieces of functionality until we see major code refactoring and bugfixing, don’t get your hopes up, but perhaps there’s still a chance of it once again becoming a very capable open source engine.

Actually, we have a few things no other kit has…

we should work on including what we have into the engine from the animation suite, and also to make the game engine a viable recording system, and make it work both ways.

Since we have all of the modeling power of BPY at our fingertips, but just out of our grasp, this would be a excellent GSOC,

BGE+BPY on two threads,

A two headed hydra :smiley:

Cry Engine and UDK has been used in this same conversation as a benchmark of comparison for over three years. What can you say for them in three years? We’re Ok I think. Just a little tweaking.

Well, go on - just do it. The BGE is open source.

At this point, I think it is generally believed that this is no longer the most likely direction of the BGE.

At the moment it is foolish to ask or expect new features implementations in BGE. What should be done before refactoring is the core of the BGE, to make the use of multiple less expensive lamps, among other things, such as excessive consumption of resources processamente when using a poucquinho more of physical logic.
I think I’m not exaggerating when dgo that vast majority of users of BGE expect a eterniade for resolving the overhead of the rasterizer, which prevents even the use of shaders and 2D filters, without which the engine is apena looks like a toy Lego .
If you have to choose personally choose the refatroração the BGE code base to finally achieve stable rates of frame rates.
And yes, it’s foolish to even compare the BGE with other engines that have MUCH more development resources. Each case is unique due to addressed development proposal.

Ps: I agree with the obserção of Agoose77, because what is proposed in the roadmap 2013 probably has not gone through consultation Blender community that likes to game dev. If this actually occurred, it is clear that it was a terrible mistake to lack of feedback from both sides, users and devs. Since artists are usually not deeply connected to game dev except the development of arts, I think I lacked adequate communication with the part of the blender community that likes to develop games beyond prototyping.

I emphasize that this is just what I think about all this pseudo-discussion on the ‘Future of BGE’. I sincerely hope to be wrong.

Superflip - I actually so agree. (Go on Randy, haha)

I’ve not seen any indie / small devs make anything so amazing in those other 2 engines that’d make me drop my jaw or anything… (especially in CE3, that everyone seems to use to create forest levels, just like the one that comes standard with it. Hmm…)

State of Decay was CE3. It did not impress anyone.

People tend to brag too much about how good the engine is they’re using, and forget that it doesn’t automatically mean they’re gonna make an amazing game in it.

Of course though, big teams, professionals can take advantage of all the candy features these engines offer. That’s how I (personally) think of them. They are brilliant, but they’re for the big guys who have the team, knowledge, time, budget, vision etc…

Whilst I agree that the teams are important

Fair way to look at it, still, I’ve not spoken to anyone - gamer or dev - who said they were impressed with it specifically because of CryEngine3. But I get where you’re coming from. I (personal opinion) didn’t think much of the graphics, gameplay or performace.

On the Xbox, that is. I’m sure a maxed out PC version would probably be more appropriate to analyze.

I don’t normally get involved in discussions like this, especially not engine comparisons haha… so hope this doesn’t come across as bashing one engine or the other. Or even the game, SOD. It may have been a good game. Just not as impressive as one would expect from such a praised engine, to put it this way…

Peace, though :slight_smile:

Pete