Newbie wants to extrude round edged slot in rectangle

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place, but I have taken numerous beginner tutorials and searched the blender manual and am still stymied. I intend to use blender cam in my home CNC shop, and need something more complex than Sketchup. What I need to know for about 90% of my work, is how to extrude a section of one shape (usually a rectangular board) with another shape, such as a non piercing circle (circle doesn’t go all the way through) or smaller rectangle, or some other shape useful when making musical instruments (and not always Guitars and basses, I make some weird stuff).

I have tried the knife, extrude, join, and all other sorts of ideas from the tutorials and am not getting anywhere. currently I am trying to “route” a slot with rounded edges in a flat board shape.

Can anyone please help?

-Dave.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

Booleans will work, but the resulting topology might be sub-par. Will you be subsurfacing the model?

Give an example of what you want like a picture or something.

could try curves and beveling: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34711

there is an SVN for CNC did you use it ?

happy bl

Easy way to add shapes is to make all in one 2d curve object. After convert it to mesh and extrude your shapes. I think topology not matter at all with cnc, like 3dprint. Try boolean also.

2d curve:

Attachments

Wow, thanks for the responses! I’ll try to answer the questions:
Modron, I don’t understand “subsurfacing”. Hope the pic helps
DCBloodHound, pic attached
Hero, I’ll look into that, thanks.
RickyBlender, What is an SVN?

Someone made a special blender build SVN for working with CNC models.

boolean union

happy bl