Challenge #610 (26/2/15) Entries CLOSED

Theme #610 for Friday 26th of February 2015 is: Dream

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT or 16:30 CST, Monday 2nd of February 2015.

the topic is Early Start?

no, we are still waiting on the topic.

ok the topic is Dream it will be updated soon :slight_smile: looking forward to see the next weeks entrys :slight_smile:

On it :slight_smile: Funny apparently my “On it :)” was to short so I’ve had to type it again to post it!

ahh tried to find an invisable character :confused:

what do you guys think of a compeditive challange? you have to pay a small fee to enter, and you have to upload a timelaps aswell as the finnished render. all the money is shared among the 3 top winners. where 1st gets 50% 2nd gets 30% and 3rd gets 20%.
the competition lasts for 1 week, and then we have 1 week to vote.
sounds cool yeah? :slight_smile:

Sounds like a nightmare to manage, set up and police to me :slight_smile: but a good idea :), perhaps a variation would be to do it a bit lighter and get some sponsorship every now and then for these weekly challenges, see if Andrew would stump up a grass essentials pack or the cg cookie folks chuck in loop tools something like that where it’s not mega money but would be something people would like but may not pay for as a hobby so every couple of months there was more incentive and the contributors get a bit of free advertising but keep the rules the same and don’t get bogged down in real money that never ends well in my experience :slight_smile:

I’m with Umii. Start bringing money and or prizes into a weekly comp and for me, the appeal of a light hearted modelling experience is finished. I think the current format is great, there are plenty of other comps where you can compete for money or prizes.

For me WECs are a place for quick and fun projects that you just have to finish. They force you to be realistic about the complexity of a scene and what you can pull off. Adding an entry fee would not only discourage entrants, but bring in some ringers. Group voting on that would be next to impossible and you’d have users creating dummy accounts… Proving a render is new is tough too, making timelapses is unrealistic and unreliable.

What I think would be cool is if there were a permanant thread, almost like a sticky, at the top of the WEC forum with a hall of fame for winners in reverse chronolgical order, the latest winning image at the top, and a link to the original contest. Maybe throw in a bone, if someone gets over 50% of the vote they get moved to top row.

I’d love to see WECs with 30+ entrants.

yeah i like the hall of fame idea :slight_smile:

I’m with Photox on this one, we should keep it simple. Having about 1000 people see my work, and getting to improve my skills is incentive enough. Financial incentives would only encourage all sorts of cheating.

So, this weekend’s theme is Dream?

A long time ago there used to be a hall of fame thread (I think) probably locked now though… could easily start another…

I might actually have time this weekend to enter, we’ll see.

Hello,
Here is my pure entry “bad dream”. Cycles. Post production with Blender only.

I’ve participated in hundreds of Weekend Challenges, so I think I have sufficient perspective on this to say I believe:

1. The Blender Artist Weekend Challenges are perfect as they are and that there is no reason at all to complicate matters - either for potential participants or for WC moderators.

2. The WCs should always remain simple, open to all, and keep their core motivations focused on personal creative fun, community, and personal artistic betterment without any monetary incentives.

3. There are and can always be other (non-WC) contests (please see the Contests forum).

Had there been no WCs, or WCs unlike what they have been like up to the present, I do not believe I would have progressed as much as a Blender Artist.

I do hope we can preserve the WCs as they are - indefinitely - so all who wish to participate can do so without any barriers or ephemeral incentives.

These WCs helped me a great deal and still continue to help / inspire me to approach artistic topics and Blender itself in new ways.

I wish to preserve those very possibilities for all other current and future WC participants.

RobertT

The master has spoken !

i agree with mr. T , there is no reason to change the WEC realy in all reality the WEC pushes you to create you scene within its time frame and shows everyone what your capable of doing within that time frame. The WEC has help me finish scenes i never thought possible to do in the time frame. evryone who has entered has showen what they are able to do and adapt to any and all changes to the challenge.

and i forgot for those of you looking for a contest Blenderguru has started another this month. good luck to all on this weeks challenge.

“Dreams of Death”

Happy Friday everyone! :cool:

My two penneth, many kids enter this challenge, how would they pay?

How would we take the money and distribute it again, whose going to do it?

Then as Photox points out, there’s be ringers, fakers and loud mouthed complainers!

Free as in free speech!

P.S. Thanks GNU

Apologies again for my tardiness, mad day yesterday!