Captury - marker free mocap with normal cameras

The Captury develops state-of-the-art motion capture systems, that require neither markers, nor tight suits. Our systems work using standard video cameras and regular everyday apparel. Our technology allows tracking humans, props, and animals, using commodity video cameras.

In addition to traditional motion capture, we develop technology that allows computing spatially and temporally coherent 3D geometry of the performer for sequences. This allows us to re-render the scene from novel, virtual view-points to generate camera sweeps with freeze-frame effects using only few and inexpensive video cameras.

Our technology builds on pioneering research in the field of performance capture and free-viewpoint video conducted at the Graphics, Vision and Video Group at MPI Informatik in the last decade. The Captury is currently supported by the German Federal Ministry of Economics BMWi via the program EXIST-Forschungstransfer.

http://www.thecaptury.com/

1 Like

Yessssssss. Will be following this!

…but, of course, still waaaaaay out of my price range. :frowning:

wow thats fantastic if the results are good this might be so much better than using markers …

Wow. I love it. Now I just only need 5k EUR o.O

If there is no catch and it can do the things it claim , 5 k Euro for a software like this is very cheap. Usually a good mocap system full set with 12 cameras cost between 10k - 55k and up. Standard systems are also very tedious to setup and are very delicate hardware.

So this is definitely interesting.

There is also another nice system called “Shadow” which uses no cameras and captures the motion from the wireless kinetic sensors… As far as I remember they have a plugin for Blender too.

There’s also iPi:

There is a catch - 1 year license. Let’s say you need 1 year and 4 month for mocap. You have to buy 2 year license, which is 10k EUR. And after that, you have nothing, except mocap files.

If only they can service where you upload videos and get mocap online. That would help indies at least.

Do you have a link to that “Shadow” mocap system ?

god I hate this year subscription model that everyone seems to be following nowadays. I blame adobe for this.
It just feels like such a rip off.

I doesn’t really feel like a rip off with low payments. However, 5k EUR is a lot of money. Maybe not a lot when you have a budget and a team of a decent size. But for indies it’s a lot of money to throw away.

iPi Soft is too rigid. Only certain number of cameras, only certain minimum space, only video filmed with iPi app, all cameras should be the same, finicky calibration system, skeleton fits only average size of a performer (I’ve read on their forums that short and tall guys couldn’t get it working right), USB3 only for Kinect 2 (not iPi limitation per se, but nevertheless) too many limitations. No animals mocap either. By the time you get most expensive variant of iPi, it’s close to what Captury chargers. Plus iPi moved to subscription only system afaik.

I hope they will keep updating the Blender plugin. Currently I cant afford a mocap system but for future projects I hope to use “Shadow”.

Here you go:

An awful lot of money for something that looks like it has a rather limited range. The Perception Neuron claims to have a range of 100 meters outdoors. And it’s a lot less money.
http://perceptionmocap.com/

Steve S

Apples and oranges. The whole point here is that there is no need for setup or external hardware.

kinda weird i was helping a guy here in the blender forums who did basically the same thing.
I gave hum coding ideas on how to solve the problems involved (i work with camera and object recognition coding in my job too).
However i think he used one camera only, (one or 2 can be enough for this) to do this… (but more might solve the math faster)
Now i wonder is this his product or not ? (I have not been able to talk him often, since i live in the Netherlands and he in Australia; Which means when i wake up he goes sleeping).

Do we know where this software is from (country ?).

BTW people interested in this coding, should take a look of what the MS kinect can do in this area…

Or you … could study vegetables like in the video below
Its the same topic i once stumbled on it looking for anime hair style

Notice how she starts with one vegetable, and then 2 unions and then none and the CG kinda sees that too

Oh and if you like the song and animation here is a 10 hour youtube video of it, be warned that the song is addictive and i wont rule out your gonna dance like that too, and i now realize why game consoles got popular :))