Kanya dance - Final gameplay mechanics

Im very interested in music games and have been always searching for some indie music games on the internetnet. Well, its not really mainstream nowadays to create music games in most game developing comunity where I am member. I want to use this thread to show some efforts i make for this project. And by this way, i just want you to know that my main project ‘KOKA’ is still important and i still develope it. Please dont close it.

I dont have much knowledge of pythoning like most people here. If there is some lack in this project, i do hope to receive your support. I spent my weekend to create few scripts that calculate song’s speed. It is able to effect on all animation speed in the scene (Dance animation speed, bubble flying speed) Just few musical mathematics.

And few scripts that give song information and convert timer ( given in Blender game engine) from float into integer. This gives me the possibility to put spawning time on the bubbles, which are beat-input of the game.

To make some nice gameplay i will use a character and apply many dance steps to it, and of course it will dance on the tempo of the music.

All these bubbles will appear with 3/4 beat earlier than the timing where it should be pressed by player (to get score, apply dance) as you can see in the video.

Different songs will have different beat map,tempo and difficulity.

Inspiration of the game mechanics:

Sounds like an interesting idea and maybe a good project to learn python.

This is the newest improvement for the project. I added and calculated 2 more songs for the game. Here i show you the 3rd track. As you see here there is a button for changing song, which is a DJ pad.

I modeled and rendered it so i can use it as a button in the game. Not really good looking but it is somehow enough for me. I also changed the design of the arrow. This is just temporary because i want the game to have a japanese and digital style combined (the arrow will have the design of a sakura leaf, and the middle point will be asakura with 6 leaves.

There will be also a dancer. I choose the girl basemesh that i already have (Kaily the Canceler) and will retexture this into another character.

I already animated 6 dance animations, each one contains 240 frames (equal 4/4 beat/ a half of a regular dance move set(8 beats) ) , this really fits to animation speed setting i defined in the game.

The faster the music is, the faster it will dance to it.

Animation speed 1.0 = 60 frames per second

60bpm = 1 beat / frame per second

The animation speed is related to the music tempo value, which is saved in each beat map script.

There will be a stage picker in the game, where the character will dance. I am aiming to make as many as possible stages from popular music videos of the songs i choosed for the game. Currently i have 2 stages done. Things in the scene will be animated like in the MVs if possible

Song: Bad girl
Artist: B2ST (BEAST)

Song: Bad boy
Artist: Mighty Mouthc

You ever hear of Elite Beat Agents for the DS? --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9w8Z3yUCE (skip to 1:25)

Easily my favorite game on the system, and it too is also a “Music Rhythm Game”.
It’d be really tough to duplicate the gameplay, though. Your accuracy with a mouse would have to be spot-on.

Just wanted to sorta shed some light on it. Maybe you could use it as inspiration or something.

This one is similar to Osu, ya :smiley: I aim to make some difficult beatmaps like those. Mentioning DS, i also played Rhythm heaven, its very nice :smiley: You must try.

Just watched a video of it! Looked at some prices online, it’s very cheap.
Gonna see about ordering it. Thanks for the recommendation! =]

This is how i built the dance stage select system for the game. The idea was, the character will be standing in the middle of the screen. You have to pick clothes to dress her. When you change the stage, she will still stand in that position, only the environment changes.

When the game starts, every changing buttons will disappear, and the beatmap will begin to proceed.

As you see here the switching is really fast !!!. I really wondered that BGE can switch scenes so fast like this. Framerate of the game is 60fps. Everyscene has animation speed setting with 60. All objects in these scenes are occlude - objects. And each texture image is extremely resized to 35kb until 100kb

The dance stages are imitations with several music videos i really love.

new selectable items in game
Hair 1, Hair 2, Top1, Bottom1

These hair have 3 layers: Normal map (used for every hair object in the game), reflection map (common use for all hair) and diffuse map of each one in different color

Hair 3 & 4

I increased the hardness of skin material, remakeuped the girl and ya… the last hair ^^

Facial rigging

added character, camera, clothes to the prototype

Very cool!! I have a question, how did you make the reflective ground for the black room? I´m looking for something like that for a long time now, but I didn´t really find something.

Keep going with your project.

Thanks Blenderrendersky

I use this http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/Game_Engine/VideoTexture/VideoTexture_Mirror_1.html
You just need to append the mirror plane from one of those 2 blend files. There is also a script

Really cool, thanks a lot!

This is a test of 6 dance actions i animated for the game. It is just temporary so it gives a bit hyperness here … haha… http://s2.postimage.org/p03x5tr8/yoyo08.gifThe speed of her action depends on the bpm value of the song. As you see, the dance steps really synchronize with the beat

Looking good! I like the all the character customization options.

Thanks InvertedPyramid!

I made something new for the game today

• Polised the character
  • Title screen (texture and animation)
  • Sound fading
  • optimized the synchronization ( as you can see in the video, the button and the speaker boom boom with the beat so well)
  • renewed the song info board + its flash effect when song is picked.

I am aiming for a music game that has cute stuff http://s2.postimage.org/p2hx3vfo/yoyo51.gifand relatively simple concept.http://s2.postimage.org/oyqb1exw/cici20.gif I will not add any mission or story into the game, but i want to challenge player with many beatmaps of different levels, songs.