Creating a star

I want to create a star in Blender along with the plumes of gas as seen in the following photo:

I tried to use a smoke sim at first but that just looked really bad. I got a bit of a better effect using a particle system on the hair setting, but it still looked too strand like.

Does anyone have suggestions for how I might simulate or approximate this effect?

Sorry I posted it here because I am sure physics and stuff will probably come into it, but I’d also be interested in your suggestions on materials etc.

here’s a tutorial on how to make animated solar flares that looks pretty cool:

Thanks, I did use this video to base some of my experiments off of, it’s not exactly what I’m after though, I’m looking for a more fluid, plasma like effect rather than the particles—which look cool but not really what I’m going for.

I worked through the Sardi Pax tutorial and found it very helpful. You may be able to achieve the fluid, plasma effect with Blur or Glare filters. Also, try posting a Comment on the YouTube page. Sardi Pax might have an answer for you.

Would there be a way to create a fluid it sim that was a jet of fluid being shot into the air, that was attracted back to the mass of the sun itself?

the problem with fluid sims is they have to take place within a domain and are limited in scale. There is another type of fluid sim though that does not require a domain, which may work. It does not make an XML file for every frame like the regular one does, and uses little balls instead of a generated mesh. I am not really up on what can be done with it, but it might be something worth checking into. I’ll see if I can find some documentation on it and edit in the URL when I do…brb…
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.66/Physics

It occurs to me that in the regular fluid simulator you can activate foam particles. maybe if you bumped up your foam particles it could have interesting results.

This is teh best I could ever get with a smoke sim. I wanted to add another particle based smoke sim to shoot out the CME’s and also adjust the current sim so it wasnt so uniform. It just took so long to run the sims, so I put this on the back burner. I think its possible, but will just take alot of testing and I just dont have the patience to wait on those sims to run.

Hello,
I have tried it with newtonian particles emitted from vertex groups as fire source for smoke simulator with magnetic force inside sphere.
+easy way phisically correct, just material setup for good look
-weak particle density and movement control

That looks excellent. I would be interesting to know how you set the smoke sim up to achieve that, if you’d be willing to share. I’d be interested to fiddle with the parameters and see what I can come up with.

By all means, have at it. The main texture has keyframes for animation, btw.
sunjjk2.blend (976 KB)