BGMC 15 | Rogue Bot

Here is my entry for the BGMC 15. Hope you all have a good time knocking robots into each other.

This is a very simple game. Stay on the mountain, and knock all the other robots off. If you die or defeat 50 robots, the stage will start over.

Downloads

Linux
https://app.box.com/s/zcv4pqyn3wcfycyn55f9s98r4ambpv9u

Windows
https://app.box.com/s/zsqg2sevpq2mmomb8xa0phmm16hczp9u

.blend file. Please run with blender 2.73 if you wish to use the .blend file.
https://app.box.com/s/p10aatc13uypk6nr8gpb7zupatihf9vj

Controls
wasd - movement
left click - punch combo
right click - spin kick

If you get knocked onto the ground, left click will make you stand back up.

Theme: Earth is occupied by an AI controlled robot army. The robot army regularly seeks out and destroys other robots not controlled by their central network. One robot from this army mysteriously becomes disconnected from the network and disappears from their ranks. The player takes on the role of this rogue robot, who is now the robot army’s most wanted target.

The game will spawn up to 24 enemy robots at once. Each enemy character has 950 vertices’s. It runs at 60 fps on my machine with a geforce 570 card. I hope it runs well for you too, however, I apologize if It happens to over load your machine.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

This is was quite fun but I had some issues with the mouselook. Left and right worked fine but up and down seemed to be inverted and quite sensitive. This could have also just been because Blender 2.70a is the default for extracted files.

Maybe some more attacks or weakpoints could make the spin kick more challenging. I like the animations!

The game will spawn up to 24 enemy robots at once. Each enemy character has 950 vertices’s. It runs at 60 fps on my machine with a geforce 570 card. I hope it runs well for you too, however, I apologize if It happens to over load your machine.

My laptop is terrible, quite possibly the worst of the entire BA community. Figured it was over, no chance I was gonna get to play it.
That wasn’t the case here, ran great! Now for my review:

Good:
-Combat was enjoyable, though the choice of attacks are limited.
-Animations look great, like I was playing as Elastic Man from Fantastic 4.
-Clear-cut goal, with a satisfying difficulty level

Bad:
-Lack of any sort of sounds, I don’t normally nit pick about sound, but it would have really added to the game.
-Glitch where I get knocked over, my arms stay stretched and enemies are given free reign to pummel me. Lost all my heath because I couldn’t get back up
-Not much in the way of character design or even an environment. Having the game take place on a skyscraper rooftop would have been cool.

Lacks in the sound, and visual department…
But for a game made in only 5 days, it’s pretty sweet!

I think your right about the attacks being too easy, especially the spin kick.
On the mouselook, it is inverted with no option to change. However, The sensitivity for up-down should be the same as left-right. If their different and your using 2.70a, I would think that would be the cause.

Thanks for

I think your right about the attacks being too easy, especially the spin kick.
The mouselook is inverted with no option to change it, however the sensitivity for up-down should be the same as left-right. If they are different, and your running the blend file in 2.70a, I would think that would be the cause.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good beat-em-up times, but like comments above, even some basic POW and PANG sounds would have made the fighting much better. Sound isn’t vital for all games, for for these sorts of games it sort of is.
My first impression of this was a mash-up of Lugaru and Kung Fu (a game I played far too much as a child).
My first match was an utter failure, but by the third try I felt I had the hang of it. It felt like it had a good difficulty; hard enough to keep you on your toes, but not overwhelming.

The physics worked well, and blowing waves of baddies down like bowling pins is a nice touch, and takes a little skill/luck to line up.

The only big gripe I would have is, aside from the title and story, there’s really nothing here that seems to represent the theme of “robots”. The player and enemies --although they looked/performed well-- had nothing about them that looked mechanical or robot-like in any way.

They remind me of little plastic army men more than anything, which is cool in its own way :slight_smile:

Nice. Works fine, but could look better. Quite fun, but maybe too less gameplay(just hitting them with two types of hits). I like the animations, but you could texture the robots too. I also like so you have standalones for multiple OS(also for linux). Standalone runs better and is easier to play, so I was glad to test it like this:) Good luck!