Displace modifier doesn't work

I’m using blender v2.73, my displace modifier doesn’t work, all it does is change the position of the object itself on the Z axis, it doesn’t displace randomly all over the faces… I try it with a simple plane that I subdivide 10 times, then I apply the displace modifier and click New and nothing happens… I’ve followed youtube videos and I’m doing exactly as they do, just mine doesn’t work like theirs… what’s wrong? pls help! it’s very important.

What texture are you using ?
What displace modifier settings are you using

We can only help if you supply all the necessary information, that includes a link to your blend file and the textures you are using to displace.

The displace modifier with no image plugged in will move your points uniformly in the direction of their normals. On a plane, all normals are pointing in the same direction, so it displaces all of those points evenly on one axis. You need to assign a texture to the modifier for it to do anything interesting.

Maybe it’s helpful to say how you do this ;):
Just go over to the textures panel. There you can change from Brush to displacement (The first dropdown-list). Then you have to load an image texture or use one of the blender intern textures.

I just want to create random bumps on a mesh of my choice as I’ve seen in a video, I followed exactly the video and mine doesn’t respond the same way…

As said earlier, you need to supply a link to your blend file and the texture you are using to create the displacement. If you don’t get what the tutorial is showing the most likely reason is you not following it correctly. We won’t know unless you show us something.

having a similar problem, cant make Displace Modifier to work in certain .blend files but when I start a new .blend it works properly…

https://mega.co.nz/#!5B5nya5J!hJscPo1eF6ePX55_vvJsc8rTxz9Pe0ovk5rm1MVrkuE

^ files with and without problems

any idea why it doesn’t “displace” ?.

Thank you!

Your object is ginormous. For some reason you’ve changed the grid scale from the default 1 to 10,000

Scaled to a more reasonable size (roughly the same as in your working file)

thnks you so much for the help!

thnks so much for the help but even changing the dimensions it stills without work :c …

Switch back to Object Mode to see the displace modifier work on your model.