First atemps at archviz ( syfy )

I had archviz in my todo list. I choose to start by somthing syfy. I had seen some good tutorial and mixed what I had seen in them to try to do somthing personal. The idea was to make an interior scene in a classy spaceship. I considere it almost done.

As it’s my first atempt at archviz, it’s probably full of stupid error. Plus it’s the second thing I model since I restarted using blender after a very long pause, so I had to relearn modeling on the way. Because of this the technique may vary a lot from one mesh to another.

I hope to learn more here. I will try to aply your sugestion on futur work, or on this one if it’s some tweaking / easy fix.

the blend
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34555

I made some few change. I think its almost finish modeling and texturing wise.

Problem with critiquing a sci-fi archvis is that the critic has no reference to base criticism on.

As an image, I am bored by it. There is a whole lot of nothing happening on a long, long hallway. I can’t imagine what purpose that hallway would serve on a space ship, and the image itself gives me no clues. It just seems to go down to that pixilated image on the far wall. I don’t understand why space ship designers would build in such a dead end.

Thx for the answere.

For the purpose I imagined it like an acces to guest/officer quarter.

For the nothing hapening, I made it to put character on afterward but if you have sugestion to make it more “active” by itself, I’m interested.

For the dead end you are right. I wanted to make a junction here with other hallway but was lasy and didnt do it. I can argue its for privacy and not having people using this hallway if they arent going to these quarters, limiting noise and disturbance to the guest but thats mostly rationalisation of the fact that I already took a lot on time on it and wanted to finish. I will think about making the junction.

Edit:
There is plenty of sy fy reference for classy spaceship interior.

Startreck has some realy clean and minimalist spaceship interior on some of the movies. There is some high class spaceship in Batlestar Galactica. The interior of some of the second row of Star Wars have some, like the horible mirror looking ship one that has a very cool interior. Half of the fifth element take place in a luxury space hotel. Dune has some scene in space with the emperor too.

Obviously, I dont expect to do as good as that for a first atempt at archiviz, but reference exist.

I shortened it a bit, hoping it will make it less boring, plus one or two other change that I wanted to try. I think I will do the junction but on the other end for other view angle.

As an access way to quarters, I don’t see any obvious doors leading away from the hall. It looks like a simple dead end.

Compositionally, all the lines in the image are pointing to the far wall. So you are telling you viewers to look there, and it’s the least detailed and blandest part of the entire image, being not much more than a random field of blue tiles with some sort of goldish brown abstract design.

Regarding references: don’t expect your audience to do your work for you. If you are trying to get this to look like something (or several things) you have seen, provide those images, and ask for advice in making your work closer.

You might try picking something in the image to focus on, and move the camera to focus on that thing.

Well I’m pretty happy with my syfy version of the classic glass wall light source in contemporean architecture, with a pixel art version of the blason of the familly who own the ship, your reaction to it make me think I have to work more how its integrated but it will be easier when I know the good distance.

The access are behind the camera right now. They dont exist in the 3d model.

I will try to find other point of view as soon as I finish the modeling part ( who is almost finished) and try to folow your advice about other point of interest.

You said that critique of syfy archviz is hard, it sounded general and not for my image in particular. So I was sugesting point of comparison with popular tv show and movie hinting how they can be relevent for this particular model. I didnt use any reference image but tryed to think what will make sens with reference from memory like for exemple been inspired by submarin for the quarter doors shape.

I fixed all the topology glitch in the reflection I can fix, added a frame to the lightened end wall, finished to join the room doors to the wall and tryed to lower the light a bit I robably changed other things I forgot to mention too.

After that I didnt had time for a full render so I just made a 50% size version. I think the black in the wall border may be an error and the lowered light add to much grain I think, plus I m not sure it make it any more interesting anyway.

I made some minor change ( fixing bad material atribution here and there, moved some lines) and made a better render ( biger and more pass) as I didnt had time for it yesterday.

Now that I fixed most of the topology problem I made one or two POW test, but I m not realy good at interior shot.