Can you "mix" Internal with Cycles??

The only way I know to create a “glint” effect is using one vertice, and applying halo effects in Blender internal. However, the project I started has been created in Cycles 2.73. I’ve attempted to create the glint on a separate layer and then render both layers, using Cycles, but the portion of the project created in Cycles only renders in black - the glint doesn’t render at all. Conversely, rendering in Internal, the glint looks great, with the portion created in Cycles being all black.

Thus, the question: Can the two modes be mixed, similar to what I’m attempting? I cannot find a tutorial that shows me how to create the glint in Cycles??

Blend File is here: https://jumpshare.com/b/UqmTTop4SiPqC82f0uJU Certainly appreciate all help!

you can render the BI part with alpha and save the image to a file and then use the compositor in Cycles to add it back in to the rest of the scene you are rendering with Cycles.

Hmmm…the Bl file is a series of “glints” (5 total) that animate at various times and locations. Are you saying that I can make a video file from a series of PNG’s, using the alpha, then use the compositor in Cycles to add it back in as a video during the Cycles render??

Sorry, but my Blender learning curve is going rather slow!

depending on how you want to do the composite you can use alpha over so you would need png files for the alpha. You could also try to render the glint with a pure black background and no alpha. Then you could save it as a jpg and use an add node to add it over the top of your other frames.

I would suggest you try a couple of still images first and test out the compositing before rendering the animation.

Once you are satisfied that you can composit the glint OK then render out just the glint to images and then you can add them to the cycles rendering using the compositor.

In BL, I rendered the “glint” files as PNG, with alpha. Then, using Cycles, I rendered the Logo, also as PNG. In the Video Editor, I added the Logo images to Strip 1, using “Cross”, and then added the glint images on Strip 2, using “Alpha Over”. Unless I’ve confused myself, it appears to be rendering the project properly?? Will know more this afternoon (12 min p/frame rendering)!

You have referred to “…using the compositor” to add the glint back into the scene. Have I overlooked something obvious??

Thanks, Tom, for the help - BTW, catchy song on your YT!

[QUOTE=Unless I’ve confused myself, it appears to be rendering the project properly??[/QUOTE]

Apparently I was confused! During the render process, Blender was doing an excellent job with the glints on a separate layer; however, when saved to QT (h264 encoding), it doesn’t do justice to the project.

Looks as though I’ll have to extend my learning curve and get better with the Compositor to pull this off.