Blender 2.73 crashing at startup

Hello, i’ve just updated to 2.73 and it’s crashing everytime I try and run it.

I had a look in the crash log file and it mentions something about # backtrace.

I’m using Windows 8.1 and using the 64-bit version of the zip file (not using the installer).

I’ve just download 2.71 and 2.72 and they both work fine, it looks like something changed in 2.73 that’s causing startup crashes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, you can try to start Blender in a shell (CMD), it stays open after you start Blender with “blender.exe --debug-all”.
May you can get some more info from it.

Cheers, mib

I’m having the exact same problem with same 64bit and Win 8.1. I used the installer, however. Window pops open as if to start and then a half second later it just closes again.

@lensman888 how about taking the advice on the above post AND USE THE TERMINAL and launch blender with the --debug-all option

and SEE / READ what the error is

my crystal ball rolled off the table and cracked
i can NOT read your mind nor magically see what is wrong with your computer
nor can i magically read YOUR ERROR LOGS

Sorry, John, but I am not that familiar with using the terminal to start Blender. In Win 8.1 I right-clicked the window icon in lower left of screen and then clicked on Run which brought up the input line. Then I typed “blender.exe --debug-all” without the quotes. Also tried leaving the .exe off. Got no action since it was looking for the Blender.exe file. Then I went to the Blender directory and did the same thing. Nothing. Also tried searching for error logs and had no idea what they were called so that was pointless. Gave up and installed earlier version. HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THAT EARLIER VERSION so I know it wasn’t just stupid user error. Cannot be bothered to reinstall the new version just to go over that again since I now KNOW that the problem lies with either the installer or the programme itself. If you think the error logs are still kicking around and you can tell me the damn name then I will search for them and let you know what they say…

Thanks for the tip mib2berlin, as suggested I ran Blender with the debug command and got a ton of output. Not being a developer it doesn’t really mean anything to me.

But here’s a couple of lines that look interesting.

Warning! Using results of ChoosePixelFormat
Not enough texture slots. opengl error: invalid enumerant
Fake_module …\2.73\scripts\addons\add_curve_objects_init_.py add curve_extra_objects.

lensman888 i’m sorry you were subjected to that rude reply from JohnVV. It was good to see your reply and know someone else was having the same problem. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it with the help of the community.

John don’t be such a jerk, if you’re having a bad day just don’t reply on the forums if you’re going to be rude like that.

Seems you are facing an OpenGL problem. Please ensure that your graphics card driver is up-to-date (must support at least OpenGL 1.4). Can you tell us more about your system specs, especially the GPU? Integrated graphics?

Hi, first you can try run Blender with --factory-startup, may something get broken in config file.
Dunno if blender-softwaregl is included in Windows version, if yes start this to get software opengl not native.
You can post full log to http://www.pasteall.org/ and link here.
Please add your system specs, driver, win version and so forth.

Cheers, mib
EDIT: It seams you need a dll for your windows 64/32 bit, name is always 32.dll.
ftp://ftp.blender.org/sergey/softwaregl/
Put it in your Blender folder, blender start in software opengl mode with the dll.

Go to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.73\config and delete the startup file.

mib – this got Blender 2.73 to work for me, but it’s painfully slow.

HP zbook 17 G2
16GB RAM
Intel HD4600 integrated video card (ugh!)

Any suggestions?

This is because of the software emulation of OpenGL.
I bet 99% driver problem, try to get driver from Intel, laptop manufacturer often not up to date.

Cheers, mib

UPDATE: Just found out that these laptops have an nVidia Quadro K3100M in them – the IT folks didn’t realize and installed drivers for the onboard video instead. Everything works blazing fast now, but I had to remove that .dll once the drivers for the Quadro were installed.

reck - it’s okay about the comments. I hadn’t totally posted looking for answers, just wanted you to know I was also having same problem; and he obviously wasn’t to know that.

I’m going to continue using the previous version until the next one comes out. Can’t be bothered to go through all that debugging process since I really don’t know enough to “tinker” with it.

mib, many thanks for the file. It does indeed seem to fix the problem and Blender opens up now just fine. However as mentioned above its very, very slow, even with an empty scene. Therefore i’m not sure how much use this will be.

I think i’m also going to have to drop back to older versions of Blender. The previous version work very fast and I have no problems opening.

Thanks for your help.

I think mib2berlin’s file was only to isolate the problem - and it did. If Blender starts fine with that file, we now can be sure that this is indeed an OpenGL issue. And that means: Your graphics driver is to blame, because it seemingly does not fully support even rather basic OpenGL capabilities.

I think you never answered the questions for you system specs…
Some kind of Intel integrated HD something? Drivers up to date?

If its my card at fault I don’t understand why it’s worked perfectly fine all this time only to stop working on the latest release. Even with fairly complicated scenes it’s always seemed to work ok in the past.

I’m not saying its not my card, just wondering as performance as never been an issue and now it struggles even with an empty scene.

My card is an ATI FirePro V3750 PCIe card.

From time to time even an old dog learns new tricks. Some new feature might be added here and there and suddenly Blender is more demanding on your hardware.

Blender’s requirements in regard to OpenGL are still very very basic, though. But let’s be frank: Your card is a bit on the low end side… Still, according to the card’s specs it should support OpenGL up to 3.2. Please make sure that your drivers are up to date.

did you install the openGL disabled driver fromm the Microsoft auto update?

or manually replace the driver that Microsoft DISABLED most of OpenGL on with the one from the ATI driver download page ?

Thank you everyone.

I’ve been using the previous version of Blender and it works great. When I get a chance i’ll look into my card drivers to see if new drivers can sort of the issue with the new version.

I know my card’s not the greatest but Blender becomes sluggish even at startup with the basic cubs.

I’ve got all the MS updates installed, not sure if any openGL drivers were downloaded or not.

the driver for your ATI/AMD card would have been auto installed by auto update

also ati WAS a paid for ( on the take) from MS to only support MS’s Direct x that they are a long way behind Nvidia in oprnGL development and support

keep in mind that EVERYTIME a new driver hits auto update you will have to manually replace it with the one from the AMD website ( yes this is a pain in the "bleeped " )
yell at Microsoft

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

your “ATI FirePro V3750” is a old legacy card
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/legacy#

i can not find a win8 driver for that card
there is a win7 a vista and a xp

so you might NOT even have a driver

buy a new card