Challenge #609 (20/2/15) Entries CLOSED

Theme #609 for Friday 20th of February 2015 is: Infinity inspired by Escher

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT or 16:30 CST, Monday 23rd of February 2015.

lol, the first topic I’ll have to google :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is a good read on it.

I was wondering if I should go with it or not but went for it, Escher’s artwork I’ve always loved and I thought it would lend it’s self well to a weekend competition due to how some of it is structured with recursion, repetition etc. :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to seeing some mind bending shapes hopefully :slight_smile: good luck!

i think he wants us to make something like this. i also had too google it haha xD interesting topic though.

EDIT: made a new one.

Pure entry:

Stairs

oh god the most frustrating thing i’ve ever made…
try it! you get one part right, but then when you work on something that is supposed to be in a totally different perspective. oh no my brain rejects it right away.

Can’t compete this weekend again.
I’m going to get sued unless I change the way that I do my comics on my blog. I’ll be busy modelling all of the characters in Blender to have them ready for next Friday.

“Old and New”

The tessellated lizard shape was created using one of Escher’s famous lizards.

epic Photox!! really like that

“Esher Spheres”

I created some flat Esher tessellated geometry and then shrinkwrapped it onto spheres, which resembles the Esher Circle Limit effect. Pure entry (and my first weekend challenge entry ever).

Thanks Umii, best topic we’ve had in a while!

Escher Cycles Test

This weekend’s challenge ended up being less about modeling and more about design and materials.
Hope you guys like it.

Edit: thx Umii :slight_smile:

Looks good @fcharr I was thinking about some mirror action as well when I was thinking about it!
@mhermann liking yours as well :slight_smile:

Here’s mine I guess I’m not allowed to enter as I chose it so this is just for fun, think I may have melted my graphics card rendering it :slight_smile:

“Möbius Operandi” All procedural just as rendered in cycles.

Hi, ain’t no computer this we exept a real slow one :frowning:

…so, I come with this, pure blender exept textures “infinite stairs”

Here’s my Pure Entry:

I couldn’t make it look any better, and I’l be quite busy tomorrow so I’m uploading it now.

Here is my non-competing entry:

Timeless After Times

(link to full res image)

RobertT

Umii, very cool effect and shader, you got a facing node in there?

That is exceptional Robert looks really good!

Photox I’ll double check shaders later there will be a fresnel or facing in there I’d have picked which ever worked best. What I did was cut a sphere in half flip the normals and but a silver material on it as the background then procedural created the brick pattern by overlaying multiple bricks of different colours and using it as an environment texture to light the scene then everything else is reflection / refraction in the glass shader which is a little fancy with absorption 2 colours etc. and set the camera up to be fisheye I’ll dig out some details this evening. the strips are fun as well essentially about 8 verts an array modifier and 2 deform modifiers love making stuff like that.

That is so good finalbarrage really really well done I bet that was fun to put together!!! If Escher was alive today I’m sure he would be using blender :slight_smile:

Very nice and very Escher! Huge improvement. As you know WEC rules prohibit switching, so both entries are to be considered invalid!
:spin: