The last goodbye

The idea behind this image is that in the far future Earth becomes uninhabitable. Mankind is forced to migrate to another planet. This is the view from one of the spaceships leaving Earth.

I’d appreciate any criticisms you might have.

1. Make the interior lightning darker and add some details like LEDs lights and handles.
  2. Put some of the spaceships outside more near to the window, at last one or two.

Thanks for the tips. Here’s an update:

That’s far better now.

If people wanted me to go in a space ship, I would ask for larger glass and, if possible, multiple layer of these larger glass. You know, to feel safer. O_o

Some small verssion and intermediate size Ship betwine the planete and the camera may add to the perspective effect. Here all the ship are around the planet and non betwin it and us who would be logical if we are all going away from the planet.

Looks great man… Good idea for a render.

Surely an uninhabitable earth would have less green segments on the land though? it looks like there are still dense portions of green land which would suggest that plant life is still thriving on the planet.

Maybe alter your texture to replace the green zones with a brownish scorched colour?

All this depends on what has made the earth uninhabitable though, i was assuming some sort of war? if that is the case then the earth should look much more distressed i.e - burnt areas, darker toned colours, possibly some areas of land that are still burning from the chaos of the near past.

The name fits perfectly with the scene… “the last goodbye” very thought provoking. The idea of being forced to leave the planet brings a chill to the spine.

Androol:

I don’t think it’s really feasible for a spaceship to have windows, no matter how thick, unless you assume some new material has been invented. :smiley:

Jamie:

There are other reasons we could be forced to leave earth–maybe we’ll a create super intelligent AI that turns hostile and chases us off. Maybe aliens will come to take the earth for themselves. The idea behind this scene, though, is that at some point in the far future the sun will heat the earth too much for human habitation. The good news for us is that’s billions of years away. :smiley:

Still, I like you suggestion of setting the earth on fire.

I’m very glad you like the name. I’ve always had difficulty coming up with good names for… well, anything. I usually just give my images hopelessly generic names. :slight_smile:

Sorry I assumed it was a window we were looking at, but I assume its a screen then.

Edit: by the way actual space shuttle have glass on the cockpit so the material already exist. But screen make sens.

Whoops, it is supposed to be a window. I’m using artistic license here. :slight_smile: There probably wouldn’t be a handprint on screen.

I had no the space shuttle had windows. Thanks for the information.

Edit: Unless you have any suggestions, I think I’ll post this in the Finished Projects section.

The glass seems to be a bit dark. Is the material you are using having the default “grey” color?

Looking great now man :slight_smile:

Maybe you should consider moving the handprint on the window away from the view of the planet, it almost looks like strange shaped clouds on the earth.

I really like this thread :wink: looking forward to the finished project! :smiley:

Much better. It’s a lot easier to tell that it is a hand print now.

The hand print is a nice touch, it adds to the story of the image. It looks like a passenger on the ship has had one last final look through the glass, to see the land he used to call home and say his “last goodbye”.

Nice work man :smiley:

Yeah, that was the idea behind the hand print. Thanks for the comments!

What jumps out at me is that you can’t see the outer side of the window frame. It immediately read to me as a screen because of that.

For the window, I’d go with a fully transparent node mixed with a glossy node at about 0.1 or so. You shouldn’t see noticable darkening with that. Make sure you’ve got nice, rich lighting behind the camera though - glossy reflections always look a bit pants unless you’ve got some visual interest there - but at the same time don’t let it overwhelm the scene.

I’m not sure how you’re doing the handprint, but my recommendation would be (at least partially) to use it as an input for the roughness on whatever. It also looks a little flat - see if you can’t find a richer handprint image (or make one yourself; I have to admit I haven’t found any good free handprint images…)

I knocked up a quick blend file to show you what I mean. Far from perfect, but might give you some ideas.

Attachments

spaceship.blend (727 KB)

hey man :slight_smile: I agree with anopheles about your handprint.

I’ve alpha mapped a texture for you of a handprint that i found online. hopefully it can be of use to you as a roughness map for your window. It may need some extra work, as some areas of the texture look like they may need to be masked a little more

Here it is,
Make sure to click the image and then right click and save as to get the full resolution image

Attachments

Guess I shouldn’t have posted in Finished Projects… :slight_smile:

I’ve just been using a hand print from CG Textures, but I agree that your one is much better. Thanks for masking it for me!

I’m rendering an update right now.

Edit: Updated

lol… you can always update your finished project thread with a new render :slight_smile:

no problem man, glad i could help :smiley:

Now that is what I call a fast improvement!
Bravo!

The next could be to play with material-nodes in order to give the black-metal-texture a more realistic look. Don’t use reflection on it as long there is nothing to reflect. But I imagine a kind of old black iron alloy. This one looks like plastic. I’m sure you can change it to something “colder”.

The sun could be replace by a real image of the space … something like this maybe:

Change the color in order to make the whole picture more harmonic. If you let the atmosphere of the planet glow this would represent the emergency of the evacuation of the planet.

Here’s a new version. I also played with the color balance, do you think it’s an improvement?

I think the handprint is too big… For the rest: well done!

The hand print looks big because the window is small. :slight_smile: I want to make sure it’s noticeable, so I don’t think I should shrink it down.