painting in 2.73

I am following a tut he is in 2.67 and states that when he was doing painting that it must be in Blender Render, he later moves into texture stamping. Is that the same where this must too be done in B render? Or has the latest, greatest 2.73 allow this in Cycles now?
One other thing see the (why?) the error I am getting when attempting to start painting (see pic)

That is a model unwrapped in B.Render and I want to use a texture to ‘stamp’ my model.

Thanks for direction

See where is says Add Paint Slot under the missing data message, try pressing it

There are multi choices…

Can this be done using cycles?

Not to come off as combatant or ungrateful:
I would rather have someone ignore a post and not answer, then to have them post one liners. It may look like this is being answered with a post response but it really isn’t, not when the OP has to repeat the same question(s) over again. Or ask someone to expound when there are clearly many choices when selecting a drop down.

Thank you in advance
NC

This is a pretty comprehensive tut on painting in cycles from one of the guys on this forum in the current 2.7 version that I’ve watched and need to watch again to be honest for all the tips. Can’t help you with blender render never used it only cycles.

Umii,
Very cool, thank you that is very helpful. I did some looking but did not find this tut. Appreciate the link.
Regards
NC

I am really trying to use texture as a stamp here in CYCLES. although this lesson (with poor sound) starts at the very beginning and he does stuff UNKNOWN if it is relevant to the part I want. IG, adding an unconnected Texture Node > Assigning it a texture> to create a texture?

It is at 28:00 in where he used a texture to paint with as well as utilizing the Blend mode…

I tried it and I got weird marks or blotches (pic 1). Closed Blender and re-opened > Unwrapped model> Hit texture icon and created a new texture for a brush. And got the (pic 2) with banding and unwrapping all the way around not just where I rub over it with my cursor?

It is at 28:00 in where…

Right click on YT vid gives option “Copy Link @ this Time”… Which video are we at?
Cycles now does refresh in rendered view while in texture paint.
What happens if you apply default test grid image to your model?

HI Eppo,

i will keep the video and @time marker in mind. Good to know

I do not know what you are referring to about default test grid image? I will assume there is a default image in Blender Cycles to test?

I will let you know if I find it. I really need a short video tutorial on just stamping and or painting with textures in Cycles. Things change so much with releases that once it ONLY does something in BR but now can do it in Cycles and the video tuts are for older versions.

The one above the sound was very poor almost distracting plus he starts with a cube and does stuff that I do not know if what he does is relevant or needs to be done to do something 28 minutes later in the video. IG, Unwrapping is needed of course but is adding a Node and assigning it a texture without plugging it into the material output still needed?

Also there have been many painting advances in the latest test builds from blender build bot. Perhaps Gooseberry has even better tools?

Eppo,
I tried using a default wood texture as a stamp/paint texture. It appears to work but I can only see it in Texture Mode not in Render.

This time I only unwrapped the faces I wanted to paint also (not sure if that was a problem with the above example #2)

Must be a small step I am missing?

Went over to http://gooseberry.blender.org/category/tools/
But did not see anything on painting with a later version…

Painting In cycles video but is this the same as using textures to stamp or paint? Cue’d to the point of interest.

I did mean UV editor New Image floating box (where it says 1024x 1024 pixels) option Generated Type; newly created image by default is black, can be colored or textured: UV Grid or Color Grid. Such grid image laid down on object shows possible unwrap errors, stretching.

Greg Zaal’s video does not reflect recent Cycles (“from blender build bot” refers to this page).
Image in UV editor and node selection behavior has changed; now painting happens on texture layer (image) which is selected on Slots tab on Tools panel.

In general: Stencil painting happens when Stencil is selected on dropdown which is located Tools->Texture->Brush Mapping
What might prevent to see anything being transferred to object while “brushing” trough visible stencil texture is blending mode, Options ->Project Paint checkboxes (Occlude, Cull, Normal) and bunch of others scattered on the tabs.

I’ve seen that glitchy weirdness before. Not sure if it’s a graphics card thing or a Blender thing, but typically this bug pops up when using images that are made internal. (It seems to glitch in a way where textures are stored or pulled from a wrong memory location and overwrite each other, probably assumes too much about the graphics card or chipset and address method it uses.) If you save the texture image used for mapping as an external file (via image:save as), and reference that in your material, then the wierdness with stenciling should go away. It only seems to come up during texture painting (doesn’t affect textures otherwise, so you can make the textures internal when done altering them), however it doesn’t seem easy to clear up or fix when it happens so you might have to restart Blender if/when it does happen.

Only other thing I’ve seen to make texture paint glitch reall bad on my computer is Mipmaps under the graphics settings, turning it off also seems to help. Again, I’m guessing memory used to store texture isn’t where it’s assumed to be. (Chipset graphics in my case, so no dedicated VRAM.)

Hi Paul,
thanks for the info, I am good on the folder and the location of my asset. And open and close Blender is one of the first things I do for my workflow or glitches. My challenge as I have been digging is the way it paints it does more of a UV assign then an airbrush or stencil paint would do. I have seen some great tuts on older version of Blender but not sure if they apply to the newer versions. There is one in 2.73 but he skips over setting up a brush and showing how to with a png as a brush rather he used a color instead. Waiting and hoping Oliver, Sardi or born cg puts one up on brushes as a stamp or airbrush tut…till then stalled on the project.

I tried the paint tools auto map uv function, when creating a new slot. It unwrapped incorrectly like this as I had a subsurf mod applied. Even after I baked the modifier down (Apply) it still seemed to retain the broken uv.

check with a sub surfed object?

So you are painting texture in Cycles, have Cycles material on cylinder however image texture node is not present in node tree? How comes? Or image node is here just not visible?
Can you show UV layout and have you tried to create test grid image and add this image as a node to your cycles material?
If there is stretching or distortions due to Subsurf, UVs this will be visible immediately.
Could you post a test file of this?
Buildbot blender: i add Monkey, hit Ctrl-2, switch Cycles and go Paint. Blender says “No UVs, should i add”… yes. Blender says “What shall we paint, there is nothing…” I choose Diffuse Color from dropdown and paint away…Add stamp texture on Texture tab for Brush, set 100% opacity on T panel adjust Curve (default “S” is bad for stamping, you need almost horizontal upper part and then sharply fall down; can set curve point to Vector). F sizes brush, Shift-F allows to rotate brush… click and done. Image for the stamp should have transparency around, drawing in the middle.
After some stamping i connect Image node (which has automagically appeared in node editor) to the default Diffuse. Now i see texture on the Monkey in preview render.
They have probably prepared UVs for the default objects in advance; i had not seen such UVs on Suzanne before. Custom stuff might fail, so use Test Grid image to check.

Painting in Cycles is the same as painting in Internal with GLSL if you use the Material draw mode. Key is to select the texture node to see it in the 3d view if you are using Texture draw mode. I do recommend using Solid draw mode if you want to get some shadow while painting in 3d view.

Eppo’s description is exactly what you need to do.

You should also check into Zero Brush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7_J-acb0I
It’s the best texture painting addon I’ve ever seen. http://blendersensei.com/store/

Well this is the video I am following and at 3:41 it starts with cycles and then at 5:20 he starts to paint but not with a texture but with paint. I want to paint with texture. I am only getting a UV assignment of my map not an airbrush type of application like one would get with painting color(s). I tried to right click and save at point of video Eppo but it would not save to my clipboard today… maybe because of FF browser?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrTceIS3vhUjFAA_YklnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?p=painting+in+blender+cycles&tnr=21&vid=A508D28AE206D4FFEB08A508D28AE206D4FFEB08&l=349&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.607987011037104737%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11r4iu5bm&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKvun-AlxUFQ&sigr=11b7vv5ks&tt=b&tit=Basics+of+Texture+Painting+-+Blender+Tutorial&sigt=11d337idn&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dpainting%2Bin%2Bblender%2Bcycles%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-003%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=136iv48uj&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

Eppo I will try your steps with Blender Buildbot version…?
Craig I do not see what you see in your minds eye. Sorry for me, LOL I have been messing with this for a week easy… I am so sick of re selecting faces I want to paint everytime something goes wrong.

Safetyman I came across that and thought do I really want to have to learn more software to do this? ughhh… Thanks I may end up having to download that z brush software.

Thanks for the direction, it is just how one step will not work in Blender or having a mod before something is applied can cause a failure, when actually it is being done right, just not right after say a mod was added. PIA sometimes.