Skill exchange: If you teach me general Python, I will teach you...?

Hey all,

I've come to realize that I will be needing to learn some Python pretty soon, especially for the kind of work environment I am transitioning into. I'm not looking for Blender specific Python scripting but just a nice foundation of Python from which I can work from when working with other programs. I'm not trying to become a pro here, just need a good foundation of basics.
 As for what I can offer to teach you? In addition to English(I was an ESL instructor for some time) here is a list of applications and skills that I can teach you: 

• Final Cut Pro 7 / Avid (my background is in professional assistant editing)
• Premiere Pro
• Nuke
• After Effects
• Autodesk Smoke
• PFTrack / Boujou / Mocha
• Blender
• Maya(only basics)
• Real Flow(only basics)
• Cinema 4D(only basics)

• Video Editing / Assistant Editing(editor support, workflows, organization, file formats etc…)
• Compositing
• Matchmoving

• English - you would at least have to know enough to teach Python of course so this would work better at an intermediate english level.

As for how we would go about doing this? Well we could use Skype. I’ve been using Skype to learn mandarin Chinese and it has been working just fine. I’m open to other suggestions.
I’m thinking about 2 times a week(or more if our schedules allow) at 1-2 hour per session?

Feel free to PM me or post here if interested!

I’m learning it here --> http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python. I would love that stuff, but since I am not technically teaching you, all I can say is good luck!

Thanks Flarp, I’ll check it out, once I’m done with my Unix training.

Rigby40;2823657]Thanks Flarp, I’ll check it out, once I’m done with my Unix training.

Good to hear! They also offer other langauges, in case you’re wondering.

Based on your skill set, you seem like a motivated learner so you should be fine teaching yourself from various tutorials and whatnot, especially with a high-level language like Python.

Personally, I’d start off doing some tutorials and then try to create small programs. IMHO, programming is very much learn by doing. If you get stuck like when the interpreter is complaining or you don’t know how to do something, you can generally solve the problem by googling it ;). If that fails, you could always post on the forums.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/
http://www.diveintopython3.net/

Hey thanks Mahalin. I’m all for learning from online tutorials but I’d love something a little more interactive right now as I’ve spent so much time over the last few months watching video tutorials online. Seriously I need to take a break from them and spice things up a bit.
I love Lynda and Digitaltutors for that but I like the idea of getting instant feedback. When my friend is teaching me mandarin Chinese I get to ask all kinds of questions and he gets to do little mini tests in the process making the learning experience much more effective. Of course I also enjoy tutoring too so that’s another benefit.
Over the last couple of months I’ve learned something about learning and retaining information, which seem to be working well for me.
Those things are:
Variety and naps! :wink:

Boy I love my naps… Zzzzzz

I’ve sent you a message. I completely understand the desire to have someone there to bounce ideas off and ask questions. That coupled with any tutorials will go a long way. When I was first learning python for work I had a co-worker that was willing to sit down with me and run me through anything I needed. The initial learning curve into programming, for any language, can be rough. Once you know one it’s pretty simple to pick up on others, but until then the struggle is real.

Best Beginner Python Tutorials i know of.
Theres a playlist to lean Python for game engine and a playlist to learn it for modeling/animating.