need some critiques for that...

The last 5 days is spend on a model. Time to show because I`m not happy with that… I try to learn more about anatomy, lighting, shading, sculpting and hair. So if you have some good advice to make everything better I would be realy happy :slight_smile:
btw… I try to do clint eastwood.
Next thing i do is the hair.
thanks in advance for critiques…
Piet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362707[/ATTACH]

you could use retopo to make a wig / emitter on his scalp around where he will need hair.

hi modron… thanks. I did the hair now directly to the mesh. But did the beard again on a highres wig and copied it back to the head. That way I could ad some haireguides what is imposible when using subdv modifier on base mesh.
Now my graphicscard won`t render anymore… need more memory.
skin looks like wax… :([ATTACH=CONFIG]362846[/ATTACH]

Reducing the glossy strengh in the mix shader will help with that. Maybe add more roughness too, but I think it’s mostly to much glossyness.

Impressive how it turned into clint eastwood with so little change from this randome bald guy. :smiley:

+1

Also a bump map for skin pores will help to get more realism.

Hi Androol and pecador… thanks a lot! :)… I`ll try…

I don’t think it looks waxy but the skin tone seems too uniform. making it more blotchy around the cheeks / nose etc could be good.
(edit) the nose in particular looks to smooth and could use normals / spec maps

yeah…thanks! Did adjust the specs, normals and now it looks much better to my eyes… not very realistic but Im quite happy with skin at the momen[ATTACH=CONFIG]362919[/ATTACH]t. :) Think some environment could make sense to see what happens. Im still not happy with hair but maybe I can play with hair later…

Hi Piet

You have really nailed the character.

only crits i have at the moment would be the hat and the shirt that look brand new, but i suppose you will still work on that.

Shaun

High Speed :smiley: thanks! Think I`ll do that later and you are right…needs some other look :slight_smile:
A new testrender. I currently try to find a good way to setup the scene lights to make the whole scene better. I did play arround with different color temperatures for light source ( mainly the sun ) and realizied like in other scenes too that it has so much influence to every color in the scene… Makes it difficult to setup shaders. Would it be better to setup everything in a neutral light (white??) and do colors in post or what is your experience with setting up everything. I feel like loosing the desert athmosphere when using white ore neutral lights but when I set lights to a warm temperature makes it difficult to setup colors in shaders… Thanks for any tips and ideas… what would be the best way…[ATTACH=CONFIG]363515[/ATTACH]

I think for the hair you just have to increase the amount of hair…

I think if you’re going for an exact Clint… increase the squint, change the angle of the eyes downward, mouth work and more wrinkling. Awesome work!!!

Thanks abc and bob!!

Amount of hair is realy important to make it more real and the angle of the eyes I didn´t had in focus until now :D…one little thing that is important for sure. About wrinkling: That sharp detailed like the picture cant be done with normal maps (as far as i tested and )…displacement maps makes no sense with low poly (1400 polys at the moment for whole face…) with that “low poly” no chance to get it real. Dont know. It seems to be difficult without enough modelled geometry. Also for shaders.. especially highlights and glossy shaders are difficult to setup with only normal and bump maps for wrinkles... Think I need something like a 10k texture that cant be rendered in cycles gpu… But maybe some more geometry would be good. I dont believe wrinkles that good cant be done with normal maps. Maybe somebody knows how to do sharp and deep wrinkles without more geometry detail.
Maybe it is better move it in work in progress or something.

[edit] the squint is not the problem… :wink:

Thank you !!

Hi,

I did some work at the eyes and hair. Deep and fine wrinkles are difficult. Baked normalmaps are not good enough I believe. Added some environment and tried to get the lighting right somehow… I think Iwill work a little more and try to do some color adjustments later. Some more critiques are welcome. Think Iwill only do some more little things than I spended enough time on that. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]367123[/ATTACH]

The last render doesn’t look bad at all. I think the hair could be a little bit thicker and shorter, or as mentioned above use more hair particles… Also hair looks to straight to be a beard, or moustache. Asian men tend to have beards like these (http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/reply/329267/Asian-Motivation-32yo-1-12-year-beard#.VQQGUY6G-BY), Caucsians have more curly hair if it’s this long. Perhaps add a little brownian to it? (just an idea). Where the cheeks beard is, try to make it a little bit patchy (prhaps cut the particles, don’t cut it too much though…)

Anyway, off topic but suitable :):

http://veryfunnypics.eu/2013/01/09/the-world-vs-clint-eastwood/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]367342[/ATTACH]
thats exactly how I see that project http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/smilies/sago/biggrin.gif… shit… thanks salamun!!! Maybe in my next life when I return as a 3D surface and shader scanner I can finish that.
…btw… that reference footage from bob is crazy… think it is mirrored and the lighting…??? there is realy a lot of extra light that they had at the set… wish I could see the original scene setup they did.

you fix the hat?!!! Lay it.

I feel sorry for the first renders cause that last one kick thier ass.