Subdivision error.

Wondered if anyone can shed a bit of light on a problem I appear to have created.

Soo, I’ve been gazing at Blender from afar for about two and a half years. Dipped my toe into it a couple of times, quickly withdrawing as too complicated for me to learn. But shortly before Christmas, in fact, two months ago almost to the day, I decided that I was going to give Blender some serious attention. After all, I was going to be 75 in January’15 so time was not on my side. LOL.

Obviously I’m a noobie but one with roughly 17 years worth of 3D experience as a hobbyist under my belt. But I’m abit perplexed by a warning message that popped up when I attempted to apply a subdivision modifier to my finished model.

For better or for worse, this is the final version of my model.

As a last step I thought I would compare this as is, to one with a x1 subdivision modifier as one can see rather hexagonal curves to my cut glass up close.

So ensuring that the model was selected in object mode,

Continued below:-

I attempted to apply the modifier, which although in the view-port appeared to be just what I wanted, resulted in this.

It reads ~ Cannot be applied to multi-user data.

Why ? Can anyone explain to an old wrinkly what I have done wrong. Many thanks for your time.

Roy.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”

From the looks of things, it would appear that your mesh is being used by more than one object.

Did you possibly make a copy of it with Alt+D or do you multiple scenes with linked data?

Hello!
This occures when you try to apply modifiers to duplicate-linked objects (Alt+D).oth
I see you’ve got some objetc on your masked layers,. Perhaps one is a duplication of your glass?
To solve this : select your glass then shortcut U and select object+data.
You will make your object unique so that you can aplly your modifier.

Hope it will help

Thanks for moving this post, I just realised it’s in the wrong forum.

Cheers, Roy

Thank you all for helping me, I’m pretty sure you are all correct, although as yet I haven’t found where. Alt D along the way I most certainly have used that combination, but although this is only my 4th Blender model it did evolve through about 90+ iterations. LOL

I knew what I wanted to do, but didn’t know how to do it in Blender hence so many files. Trouble is I don’t remember exactly on which file nor how many times I did it.

However @ Athanyse The view layer contains in 1 - The object. 2 The Camera. 3 - The four lights.

In the scene layers all of the top right layers were originally selected. None of the masking layers were selected. So I’ve altered it as shown in the screen shot below. Saved the file, tried again, same result. So I think that after I’ve checked out starplayer’s link and your comments about unlinking to create a unique object, I’ll let you know how I get on.

You can select all duplicates by hitting shift + L or going to Select -> Linked. In the menu that pops up hit “object data”. This will select all relevant objects.
In order to make your object unique select the object go to the Properties Panel -> Object Data context and hit the number next to the mesh data drop down menu. This creates a unique object and you will be able to apply the modifier.
Linked objects behave similar to what you might know from other programs as “instances” or “references”.

Hmm! Having read both links, I’m a touch perplexed as I’m only making one object not multiple dup’s. However I did bring together the handle mesh created via a bezier curve and the main box modelled object. There is no indication in the outliner of more than one object.

Edit: Thanks Lumpengnom that’s the next step, I certainly didn’t attempt to create any instances although I may have done unintentionally since I don’t know what I’m doing. LLLoL

If everything else fails you can try to create a new object, for example a box, join the beerstein to the box (with the box as the active object) and then delete the polygons of the box.
Then put modifier back onto the object andy apply it.

Well thank you all very much. I appear to have found the problem, I think it was grouped. Shrug; to be honest not really sure. Anyway I have solved it and the modifier appears to have worked. However I’ve messed up something else some how as I appear to have lost my specular reflections. (see below) Ho hum. Onwards & downwards. I will sort this out, as I’m a touch embarrassed how long I’ve been working on this model.

Attachments

The easiest fix is to make your object single user. Select your object and press U > Object & Data.

Looks like whatever was causing the reflecton (object, HDRI, light) is gone or hidden. Perhaps you turned off a layer containg the reflections source.

Indeed Lumpengnom, but hopefully I’ll solve it sooner rather than later. In case any one wants to see a wire frame here’s mine for what it’s worth, prior to adding the handle.

Once again thank you all for solving my problem. :0)

OK this all now SOLVED. I have also got back the specular reflections. By saving as an .obj then I imported the .obj back into a new scene added back the materials and abracadabra all is well with the world.

Thanks again all.