Add-ons and modifiers that should be developed

What kind of add-on or modifier requests would you guys have or wish existed for Blender?

Let’s talk possible and impossible.

I would love modifiers that extend blender which have nice readable code, and fit blenders coding paradigms. That way they don’t get me excited for something that never will make it into the main blender build.

Edit Poly Modifier like in Max!!

that interactive quadrilateral remesh. ops!

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would say a node based fracture system. Much like Thinking Particles for 3ds MAX

I wish that all (relevant) modifiers would work with curve based objects. Long overdue.

And a UV modifier for curve based objects to control UV mapping.

+1 for Edit Poly Modifier and Delta mush deformer :slight_smile:

I would love to just see current features/WIP modifiers completed before we focus on new projects.

Sergej has a bunch of features for rigid body simulations that currently are not implemented in Blender (I think he was waiting for the dependency graph to be overhauled first, maybe?). I have been anxiously waiting for things like triggers and ghosts to work. Ref: https://vimeo.com/75594246

I would love to see the facture modifier completed and come stock with trunk. Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS46nN9Q0kE

I would also be super happy if that noise/randmize modifier was included as well (the one that would offset an array of objects, ex. a series of bricks in a brick wall). I don’t know what happened with that. Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MG6LMBrFQ

Solidify-modifier without overlappings, robust union boolean modifier for 3dprint ala Netfabb. 2d booleans, non overlapping inset tool.Better every direction object alignment/distance to each other, like objects follow the curve, straight or curved.

get this modifier in trunk please

The official effort by the blender foundation for a normal edit modifier is not very useful and is very limited since you can only direct the normals of a mesh towards another object’s position in space.

The unoficial normal edit modifier can TRANSFER the normals of one mesh onto another. That is a much better way of doing it- it takes much less effort and you can be very specific on how you want your normals.

My suggestion is to get this to a stable stage and suggest it for inclusion to trunk!

1+ for a Trunk version of the Fracture Modifier :slight_smile:

1. new or updated particle system

2. New or updated Fire and Smoke simulator. (simplified)

3. Grow modifier or something that could automate this process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkbC787SvGk -

At one point I had a few ideas for some useful addons, I might come back later and some more.

@blurymind there is already functionality in latest Blender build to transfer normals from one object to another. It’s called the Data Transfer modifier and allows to transfer all sorts of data between objects, including normals.

In the modifier, you set the object, enable Face Corner Data, enable Custom Normals and change to Nearest Face Interpolated from the dropdown.

Better array modifier with more intuitive options (incremental scaling objects in arrays, circular arrays, grid arrays, incremental rotating, etc.). Like Cinema4D’s cloner object.

I know you can do all this stuff already in Blender, but it’s just too tedious, time consuming and not particularly friendly for animation.

Moved from “Latest News” to “Blender and CG Discussions”

Ah thank you. I didnt know that.
Like this?

Certainly made my day! :slight_smile:

Blender devs are awesome!!

A simple UVW map modifier with viewport gizmo, without always damn unwrapping or need of Texture Coordinate+Mapping+Image texture nodes.

EDIT: And please a sweep modifier! (profile extruded along a path)…Curves have limitations and are cumbersome. (for example you can’t autosmooth normals in curves objects, or smooth or flat, it needs convertion to meshesbut then it gets static, destroying the chance to later modifying settings…)

I just want to see all of the new candy in.
Dependancy graph
Viewport Fx
OpenGL realtime render system
Bullet gpu based solutions

I want to run games in blender, as well
as animate and model using GSL to render.

is there a way to hide lights and empties and things in current gsl render mode?

Non-destructive parametric primitives. So you can adjust the settings of an object at any point. Needs to be applied for the user to be able to adjust the mesh destructively, ofcourse.

Material manager addon for Blender Internal (may be for Cycles to)

Basic functions:

1. List of materials
  1. Multiple selection materials
  2. Group of materials
  3. Filter list of materials
    a) by prefix
    b) by suffix
    c) by name symbol mask
    d) by group
    e) by parameter
    f) … more …
  4. Copy all or only user defined material parameters from Active ( Example: only one or user defined list of parameters)
  5. History of changes (Undo/Redo)
  6. more… (node groups?)