Ice Shader

I’m working on a shader in cycles for snowflakes. I know that the trees are nothing special, but do you all have any tips on making the snowflakes more realistic.

Hey there :slight_smile:

I’m not too sure if realistic snow flakes will go with the cartoonish style of the image, with that said give this shader a try. It’s not too realistic but it should fit nicely in your scene.

To get nice looking ice, you will need to have a nice environment for it to reflect light from, such as a bright sky, clouds and sunrays etc. I recommend using a HDRI.

I’ve attached an image of the node setup and a quick render i did using it. (models are just basic star shapes, the shader should look much better on a more detailed snowflake)

Attachments

Thanks man! I used the shader, things came out much more white than clear, but I think that is because of the white ground. I put in some depth of field to make it look better and I’m pretty happy with how this turned out.

That looks better, The DOF is a nice effect.

Glad i could help :slight_smile:

Nah … #3’s just out-of-focus. :frowning:

#2 probably had the right idea: if the snowflakes are to be the main subject of the shot, make the camera focus on them. Fill the frame with one flake, or a handful as #2 did.