Out the Candle

Hi fellow blenderheads, this is an animation I made with a goblin like creature trying to out a candle. Im practicing character animation. Tell me what u think, critiques comments welcome:)

Not bad. The animation is on the slow side. If you want to show the character really trying its hardest to blow it out, try having the character leaning in a bit more. Also what was that brown creature in the video?

hey XeroShadow thanks for the tip! Appreciate it. I really want to be a good animator.

O and the cute brown creature is his pet monster

A monster? I see. So why does it slide like it’s a water droplet when it was standing still?

Ok, I think you are missing two ingredients: a motivation for your character, and an establishing shot.

An establishing shot sets up the scene and shows the audience where everybody and everything is. We don’t see the pet monster in the beginning… where is he? how far away?

We also don’t have any motivation for the goblin to blow out the candle. Why is this desired? Why doesn’t he try once, fail, shrug his shoulders and go about his business? (I see, on second viewing, that you tried to do this by having the goblin yawn and scratch, but the yawn isn’t really clear, especially since the goblin doesn’t have sleepy eyes, and not everyone scratches before going to bed.)

I suggest that you can combine these two by showing the whole goblin cave in a long establishing shot, show the goblin’s bed, and the goblin turning off other lights, obviously he is tired and wants to go to bed. Or you could have him turning down the covers and then looking over at the candle burning on the rock. This can all happen while you are rolling the titles.

Then you can move to your close up showing the goblin having trouble blowing out the candle. Since the candle the only thing keeping him awake, he has a motivation for continuing to try to blow it out.

A minor nit: when the goblin’s huge stomach deflates, the sound effect isn’t quite in synch with the deflation, but seems to come after the air has left his belly.

watch 11 second club over and over again, helped me alot!

@xeroshadow it was being blown away, guess i have to work more at making people understand my animations

@Orinoco You’re absolutely right. Thanks for the tips

@Koumis 11 second club? Might give it a shot.I see You have some cool animations on your youtube page .

The character and the candle are out of synchronization. And the character is actually blowing the candle in the different direction than the candle is

And the character seems to be smiling -_- no other emotion is clear.
Secondly his head scales up. Why? The animation is really very poor.