I have a problem with Cycles and Normal Maps

Hello there.
I create some normal maps by myself and in my testing file they look great and so on.
But lately I use them in some scenes I made and noticed a thing that dont look right.

The moment I use the Normal Map in Cycles, the texture get realy dark in one direction.
I use lightsources that shoot the rays in every direction but the corner remain dark and if I rotate the plane the area rotate also.

So I´m very confused and fear that this… bug (?)… cause bad or unrealistic lighting in my scenes.

Maybe you know whats going on and can tell me what I do wrong.

By the way… maybe it is like this since I use the newes Blender update. o0

Show your nodes or no one will be able to help.

Sry here are the nodes. I use the upper texture as an specular map.
And the texture at the bottom are the normal texture. If I reduce the strength of the normal node to 0.4 the
corner get less dark. But I think thats not the right way to solve this problem. :confused:

One thing in your node tree is incorrect. The texture used for the normal map needs to be changed from ‘Color’ to ‘Non-Color Data’

Holy cow!!! Man such a little button! I know this with bumpmaps but i thought that it would be bad to set it to non color data
because a normal map is… well you know… colorfull. :smiley:

Thx allot and have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

There’s also another flaw in the node setup. Tangent normals need the tangent information from the UVmap, so you need to unwrap your mesh and pick the UVMap in your Normal map node.

That’s a minor mistake that usually doesn’t matter. If there’s only one uv map on the object, it will use the only one available even if you don’t explicitly pick it. If you have more than one I believe it will use the first. If you have no UVs it will use an auto generated uv set but for a plane like this that also shouldn’t matter.