BGMC 15 | Kwaktroid

Kwaktroid!

This game will be a simple exploration-based sidescroller. The title should say enough as to where this game’s roots will lie.

You play as a robot duck that shoots lasers out of its mouth. Yeah. You must find new weapons and upgrades in order to progress through the different areas, so you can find better weapons and upgrades to progress to the different different areas.

The inspiration for the player’s character came solely from the initial placeholder mesh I created for it. I thought it would look funny with little spinny duck legs so I threw it together and it’s surprisingly effective!

Here is a Day 1 video showing off what I have so far. We can run, jump, wall-slide and wall-jump!

Tomorrow I will probably work in a weapon and maybe some goombas to shoot at.

Haha this is awesome :D, love the style!

Looks very fun:D

spinny duck legs … lol … this is awesome!

DAY 2

Unexpected events kept me from doing a whole lot today, but I did manage to mostly meet my goals.

I have mostly integrated the first enemy mob into the game! It has been dubbed the Squi-Squi. It’s an alien squirrel-raccoon thing that bounces up and down, hurting the player if they touch it. They aren’t particularly hostile creatures, and usually wont chase the player, but will become agressive if you get too close to its nuts :wink:

I’ve devised an interesting system for handling animation for this project. Rather than trying to deal with armatures and rigging (even simple armaturs/rigging gives me a headache), I’m using seperate meshes for each ‘frame’ of the creature’s animation set, and a series of Replace Mesh actuators tied to each frame, with the python code determining which frame-mesh to use at any given time. It gives it a cartoony 2D sprite sort of look, and is a really quick pipeline if your meshes are simple. This little guy is done modeling/animation-wise, and took me a little under 2 hours of work. The next critter will probably take one hour now that I know what I’m doing.
The body is a 8x8 uv sphere with some extruding to get the feet and ears. The tail is a cylinder, subdivided and scaled to shape, then applied to a bezier curve to get the different poses. The face is a subdivided plane placed just in front of the body mesh, with a alpha/emission mapped texture for each facial expression. The materials for the body are set to Object Color so he will flash red when hit (denoting in classic sidescroller cant that he is impervious to damage at the moment).

I am currently having issues with him ‘bouncing’ off the game’s track and ending up in the foreground/background. I have a line in his main loop which does a:

if own.worldPosition.x != 0: own.worldPosition.x = 0

which seems to work fine on the player object, but is not immediately working for the squi-squi. I’m sure it wont take much to resolve, but I don’t have any more time tonight to fiddle with it.

I also implemented basic gun mechanics. Your standard energy-bolt blaster sort of thing. You cannot fire while grappling, and while it has a set rate of fire if you press down the fire button, it will fire semi-auto if you tap the fire button. It damages mobs it touches, and ends itself when it touches anything else.

Tomorrow I will post another gameplay video, or maybe a demo blend (if that’s allowed?) once I get the final pieces of the puzzle put in place for combat.

Here I also have an initial meshing of the game’s villain/boss. Fear the Moose.

I’m not entirely happy with how he turned out, and will probably be re-imagined somewhere down the line. I just thought I would share it.

None of the images are visible, did you upload using the “insert image” icon?
You might want to also try stick to common image file types (like png or jpeg).

Yes, and they are png.

I have no idea why they aren’t showing up. I didn’t do anything different with them than I have for any other image attachments.

[EDIT] I think I got them working now…

Here are some concept drawings. Hopefully these will work…

The rest of your crack robot commando team. TV-faced Cat-bot, Stoic dog-bot, and Zippy mouse-bot!

The Chubbakubba. An enemy that might be a little scarier than the others.

A Cactimus. A stationary (or very slow moving) enemy that spits projectiles. It’s only vulnerability is the flower on its head.

And the Squi-Squi.

Kind of a big set-back on my end.

Recently had to resort to erasing my hard drive and re-installing my OS.

Everything is gone.

Tomorrow I will decide whether to start over, or drop out.

Wow! Loved the ‘Gumba’ red and these concepts!
I’m sure it will be a strong contender for the first place!
Congratulations!

Ps: I hope you do not give up.

[I don’t know what’s going on now, but this is the fourth time I’ve written up this post, as BA has been logging me out before I can hit the Post button]

I still want to keep going with this, as much as I can. I’m still in, although I won’t have as much to show at the deadline as I had planned.

I will have to start over from scratch, but since I already know what I want this game to do, the second iteration will come twice as fast, and be that more refined.

Good luck! I like your character concepts, will you still use them for the project?

This is true, re-doing something lets you make it faster and better, it is probably a good idea. Aside from that the current gameplay looks awesome and I’d like to play a finished version of the game!

@RockyMadio: Yes, the three enemy types I have planned for the game will still be based on those concepts. The robots may change direction art-wise though, to bring them more into the focus of the game, since that is the theme of this whole thing afterall…

Alright! I now have the latest version of blender, and it appears to be working well.

I also found a neat little tool over at www.pixel.tools which I’m using to re-create the textures for the facial expressions. If things go as planned, these should be about the only graphics my game needs; everything else can be done in plain diffuse color.

I will try to bash out the critter models tonight, since they are the most design-refined assets I have so far. Tomorrow, I aim to re-build and get myself back to where I was before. Then it will be polishing, bug-fixing, and bringing everything together into something playable.

So stay tuned…

After a long grind, I have mostly re-built the movement system I had in place before. It’s nothing pretty but it’s something to play with.
TINY DEMO BLEND
[Already found a bug! duck.py: line 122, last arguement in applyForce should be True, not False]

The camera jerks when you stop suddenly (hitting a wall/floor). I’ve been trying to soften it out but it’s not there yet.

There are two control set-ups. Both are active simultaneously so just use whichever keys work best for you:
SET-UP 1:
WASD: Movement
M/N: Jump/Shoot

SET-UP 2:
ARROW KEYS: Movement
X/Z: Jump/Shoot

There is not shooting yet, but you can wall grab/jump. There is also variable jump distance, so holding jump will allow you to jump farther. Letting go of the jump cancels your upward horizontal motion, to get the metroi-style controlled jump mechanics, to a certain degree. I did try to design a little bit of ‘mushyness’ into the controls; I hope it’s not too much.

I have also finished the primary modeling on the mobs.

The face planes are set a little bit inside the geometry of the mob’s bodies, with a Z-offset. The Chubbacubba’s face and hands are billboards. It looks pretty good in motion. The Chubba especially, as his his eyes just stare at you no matter which way he faces, which is a little creepy :slight_smile:

Looking at it, I want to give the Cactimus old-lady glasses…something like these. I also need to figure out a clever way to render his spines, probably something similar to the billboard planes on Mr Chubbacubba.

That is all from me for today. Tomorrow I jump on implimenting weapons and enemies and death-traps.

(Apologies for the poor image quality. I have very little to work with as far as image editing software right now)

Here we have a dying Squi-Squi. The little robot mouse to the left will be what the critters turn into when you ‘kill’ them. It’s like Sonic the Hedgehog in reverse! The robo-critters will probably just scoot around the floor randomly, maybe following/fleeing the player.

The humble Chubba-Cubba. Behaving much like a flightless version of the Boo from Mario Bros games, he will hunt you down unless you look at him, in which case he gets spooked and stops in his tracks, allowing you to move past him. His hit detection area is a cube which rests between his tenticular arms, the rest of his body being a valid ‘FLOOR’ object. The plan is the player gets ‘stuck’ in the Cubba’s arms and takes damage, and must run/jump to wiggle themselves free (have something like underwater/sticky physics happen inside the sensor cube, somehow…). The Chubba-Cubba is immune to blaster damage, and usually smart enough not to follow you off of cliffs.

I did not get too much done on the Cactimus, not enough to have anything good to show anyhow. He will come out tomorrow, as well as finalizing all the mechanics I have (I don’t think I have time to ipliment more) and animation (will be super basic), and spend the weekend designing the level(s).

I’m really hoping to get at least some sound FX in, at least the important ones.

The entry into the competition is going to be a real bare-bones presentation of a larger concept. If there is enough interest, I would like to take this further and develop it more into a complete experience after the judging. I’m having much more fun working on this thing than I did any of the other projects I started recently.

Looks great so far, especially considering you had to restart!