Remeshing suggestions?

Hi all, I’ve been experimenting with 3D printing, and I’ve found I need a reliable way to remesh several objects, or a single mesh comprised of joined objects, into a single manifold shell.

Anyone have any suggestions of what works for them?

I’ve tried remeshing with Meshlab, but so far in my tests it always takes forever and creates an unusably decimated result.
Ive also tried importing the meshes into 3D-Coat as voxel objects, but, as always, it shreds my objects apart and creates all kinds of voxel weirdness.
I’ve tried Blender’s booleans, but they’ve proven to be pretty unpredictable.
Ive tried Meshmixer’s Make Solid tool, but with the accuracy and density settings cranked all the way up I still can’t seem to get a result with high enough resolution.

Soooo… Thoughts? :slight_smile:

Zbrush’s dynamesh will do it, at any res you want. You may get some goofy(aka blobby) geometry where it creates “welds” between pieces, but that’s about it. It also can have trouble dealing with flat surfaces or sharp corners, it tends to try and bevel everything to the size of the faces it’s making.

There’s an excellent decimator too to help trim down afterward. And zremesher if you want it, although for a print I think decimation master will be fine on its own. It’s also easy to bounce results back to Blender for solidify/tidy up.

Of course, Zbrush is $800, so I’m not sure its worth the money just for this alone.

Here’s examples of how it handles two intersecting cubes:

meshmixer has a boolean function too

as well as a remesh

Agree about Zbrush.

I much prefer Blender for everything else, but it’s truly great for remeshing.