BGMC 15 | Mechatronic

So after some thought I decided to join this BGMC because…well why not?
This competition I will have significantly less time compared to the last one, so I’m hoping I will still be able to finish if i don’t try pull of anything too ambitious.

My game will be a survival style filled with robots and some dropships (for new rounds of enemies). I am completely new to the aspect of creating “rounds” or “waves” of enemies, so hopefully there will be a lot to learn there.
Also if all goes well and I have extra time, I will look into saving scores and player names as this is something I also want to learn.

Today I managed to get something close to a map finished and some bullet-to-surface (water, sand, stone) impacts going.

Looks really good! (I’m glad to see other ppl. joining the competition; as the new guy on the block, I didn’t want to be the only entry! (Now I have to go watch a tutorial on doing stencils…and then I need to find some textures that match my theme.)
Anyway, it’s only 9:30 am where I’m at and you already have a map, Thatimster!

Looking forward to your game … and your tutorials are awesome.

Well I live in New Zealand so I started a little earlier ;). Good luck with your game!

Thanks, good luck with your game! Glad you like the tutorials :smiley:

So now that the weekend is gone progress might slow down a little from this point onwards but I’m pleased at how far I have got within just 2 days.

The latest screenshot:

Finished HUD, firing guns, muzzle flare, surface impacts, shooting overheating, player movement + walking animations.

Hi! Looks good, high quality textures. I envy you as I always have wanted to live in New Zealands…:smiley:

Alright, so I haven’t been able to work on this very much for the last few days, in fact not at all on Wednesday. So I set aside some time to spend on trying to get the game to a playable level. During this time however (as you probably noticed) I haven’t posted many updates, the main reason being that there weren’t many new additions so I either forgot about posting progress or just decided to leave it. Anyway enough excuses.

So in my radio silence, I have created:
-Enemy AI + pathfinding (with a glitchy navigation mesh).
-Enemy bullets, flare, animations etc.
-overheat function with smoke and warning sign
-HUD elements (aiming, heat + healthbar)
-Sorting out collisions/impacts for rocks.
-Bug fixes (mainly for the AI).

To do in the near future:
-get animated textures going
-get heat + health bar working and updating.
-decal for when the player gets hit.
-model drop-ships + sort out spawning for the enemy AI.
-Begin to look at creating round based combat.

Thanks for all the feedback, hopefully if all goes to plan I will be able to finish the game before the competition closes!

Textures look very good, except the ground one- maybe map it different…

Thanks for the feedback, textures for now are very high-res (probably too high), and I will most likely tune them down for the finished version. The ground is mapped fine, its just the shape of the landscape. Eitherway I have already baked it, so I can’t really go back and change it.

Regarding progress, today I got a few hours to work on the game and managed to finish:
-Fixed some navigation issues with AI
-Added player health (subtraction of health and syncing with healthbars)
-Got overheat_bar and health_bar working
-Modelled dropships, in the process of implementing
-Added animated texture explosion upon death of unit
-began adding spawning.

Still to do:
-hit decal
-begin round based spawning
-finish implementing dropships
-more tweaks and issues etc. that I will find on the way

Here is a screenshot:

Tomorrow will be very technical so I doubt I will be able to provide much of visual ‘proof’, but we will see how that goes.

Drop ships! Can you shoot them out of the sky? Looks awesome, reminds me of the mechwarrior series.

this is pretty cool -lighting -material - sand-target -just i want to say good luck and keep going

Unfortunately not, the main reason being there is a set number of enemies that are added each round, each enemy is recorded until there are none left (and the next round begins). Adding the ability to shoot down the drop ships would be cool, but a heck of a lot more work (also with the particle effects and updating the total count).

Thanks, I intend to do so :smiley:

Today was a frustrating yet successful day. I managed to completely get round based combat working from scratch and multiple random spawn/drop points.

Here is a list of stuff I have completed:
-hit decal
-Round based spawning + number of enemies (based on round)
-Added 6 different dropships
-Randomly chosen spawn/drop locations (3 out of 6 are chosen each round)
-Round based Damage (for the enemy)
-Waiting for the player to press Enter to start the next Round
-Some navigation fixes
-water (just an animated normal map)
-tweaks to surface based impacts
-added warning sign that alerts the user when health is affected
-some other stuff I probably forgot about

Stuff still to do:
-Skybox/dome
-Optimization
-Menu
-Flooding mechanic
-Death screen
-Sound
-My Homework

Most of the frustrating programming was done today, basically just compromised of facepalm moments and shouting at the computer. I did experience some weird bugs, but after converting a simple python script to logic bricks the problem was solved.

Overall I’m surprised by the amount of progress, which will hopefully allow for a not too stressful polish and release.

Here is a wonderful screenshot with as many features crammed into the viewport as possible (although is probably doesn’t look very different compared to the last post).

Best of luck to everyone who is also still working on their entries!

looks fun and pritty , cant wait to play

I like the amount of dials and gauges and stuff.