Cannot generate collider of mesh put into Unity

Greetings,

I have exported a mesh with an animation as both a .blend and .fbx, both result in the mesh collider component to have an empty mesh field for which to form the collider properly. I need this mesh to have a collider so that I can have it interact with the player (to play the animation when when it is touched by the player). Is there something that I may have missed when exporting this mesh? Any tips or ideas where I might be going wrong? Other .blend meshes I have put into Unity can generate their collider with no issues.

Also, I came across that you can uncheck exporting the Default Take with a mesh with an animation, but I could not find this in the .fbx export settings. Is this not available in Blender 2.73a?

Create a prefab from the blend-file imported file, then add a mesh-collider component to the prefab, works for me. You should be able to see the mesh in the inspector window, all you need to do is use it in the unity collider component.

both result in the mesh collider component to have an empty mesh field for which to form the collider properly.

Quick fix: can you not simply click the little circle/dot symbol next to the field and browse for the correct mesh?

Are there multiple objects in your .blend? If your .blend has multiple objects in it, Unity will interpret the file as an empty with the objects as children. Since an empty has no Mesh Filter component, and if a GameObject in Unity does not have a Mesh Filter, the mesh value will not be automatically set if you add a Mesh Collider component to an empty.

Does this make sense/help fix your problem?

Thank you both for your replies.

@thpetsen: Not sure if I had done this previously, but I went ahead and did it again. I still got the same problem where the mesh field came up empty.

@KnightsFan: I did try, and when I tried again I realized that the mesh was under a different name than I thought and was able to assign the mesh to the field. The original issue was indeed I was trying to assign the mesh collider to the empty as opposed to the actual mesh. But it seems that this mesh collider does not follow the animation? When my mesh animates, the mesh collider stays in the resting position and does not follow the path of the animation.

I’m fairly certain that mesh colliders cannot be animated at all.

Edit: You “animate” a collider by creating an individual collider for each bone and adding that component to the bone empties.

Awesome, thank you. Worked like a charm!