Exocortex Species for Blender (Character Creator and AutoRigger)

Hey everyone,

I recently made a request on the ExoCortex species plugin mailing list. Species is a character creator and rigging tool well creates characters, allows you to customize the overall shape, and rigs the character. They are currently porting this plugin to Maya and hopefully Houdini Engine. I personally want Blender support :slight_smile:

More details below -

Store page <- Go here to get more details.

Mailing list < - Go here voice your support.

Important: Please note that I am not part of the Species team. I just want to see blender support. Voice your support for this plugin on blender. :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about doing this myself a few times. It’s definitely not a small task. Honestly, I doubt Exocortex will express any interest. They’d almost certainly never recoup the development costs for Blender, especially at the prices they like to charge.

I use Species pretty much daily, and there have definitely been more than a few occasions where I’d love to have been able to use the rig in Blender.

I hope to be proven wrong about their interest in Blender, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Maybe I’ll jump on this some day in the future though…

Really hope that they show some support for blender even if it is just the base character creator.

They have been rather silent as of late hope everything is Ok with them and species :slight_smile:

Their silence has likely been due to Softimage being discontinued.

Softimage was a great program, too bad AD didn’t see it that way. Maybe they incorporated some of SI’s features into Maya, but I don’t know. I was hoping Species would get ported to other programs to keep it alive, so I’m glad they decided to get it to work in Maya at least. As long as it’s still alive, there’s hope that it could be made to work with Blender.

In the meantime, we have MakeHuman and Rigify. Might be interesting to see if MakeHuman would like to incorporate that shape morphing setup into their program.

Softimage was a great program indeed.

That said got some news about species :slight_smile:

I hear really good things about Blender, both the program and its user base. I want Species to exist in every platform eventually, but it will definitely take some time. Right now the focus is on Maya. After that, we’re hoping to get Species working with Fabric Engine, which will make it cross compatible without needing to build and rebuild for every platform.

So hopefully a blender version in the near future. :slight_smile:

They have been rather silent as of late hope everything is Ok with them and species :slight_smile:

Hi guy!

Ben here from Exocortex. We are focusing on Clara.io these days, our online 3D modeling, animation and rendering tool, rather than our Softimage plugins.

We are currently putting the finishing touches on our real-time PBR implementation in Clara.io and synchronizing it with V-Ray. We should be launching V-Ray 5 machine distributed rendering (for paying users) and a whole new Clara.io redesign in the next few weeks. We should be hitting 100,000 registered Clara.io users within the next few weeks.

So we are active, but on Clara.io rather than on plugins for the discontinued Softimage tool. We loved Softimage, we really did, but for us to continue to develop for the rapidly shrinking Softimage market after it was discontinued, would be suicide for us.

Best regards,
-ben